[SOLVED] Headphones don't work when plugged in to front jack on Dell S2721DGF monitor ?

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
I've got a DisplayPort 1.2 cable that goes from my RTX 2070 to my new Dell S2721DGF monitor. My speakers are plugged into the audio-out jack on the back of the monitor. That all works just fine.

I noticed tonight though that if I plug my headphones into the jack on the front...nothing. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? I've looked all over and don't see anything. It does work if I plug the headphones into the jack on the case that's connected to the motherboard but that's not what I want to use.

Solution
I've got a DisplayPort 1.2 cable that goes from my RTX 2070 to my new Dell S2721DGF monitor. My speakers are plugged into the audio-out jack on the back of the monitor. That all works just fine.

I noticed tonight though that if I plug my headphones into the jack on the front...nothing. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? I've looked all over and don't see anything. It does work if I plug the headphones into the jack on the case that's connected to the motherboard but that's not what I want to use.
The manual for the Dell S2721DGF -- https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/.../dell-s2721dgf-monitor_user's-guide_en-us.pdf on page 11 says...

kanewolf

Titan

The manual for the Dell S2721DGF -- https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/.../dell-s2721dgf-monitor_user's-guide_en-us.pdf on page 11 says the audio port "DOES NOT SUPPORT HEADPHONES"

Solution

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016

Yeah port #6 the Audio Line Out does not support headphones. That's the one I've got the regular speakers plugged into and they work fine.

I'm trying to plug the headphones into port #10 "Audio headphone port" which I assume would be where they're supposed to go.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
If I use the joystick to turn the volume setting on the screen up to 100 I can hear the headphones although they're quiet. Plugging them in doesn't disable the sound going to the speakers. I thought maybe it wasn't working right so I tried another S2721DGF. Same thing that's just the way they work. Not going to lie it seems like kind of a dumb setup. At the very least there should be setup options for adjusting when the headphones and speakers are active. I'm tempted to return this thing and look for something else but it's probably not worth it.