Question Headphones for gaming, music, movies

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
I currently have the momentum 4 wired to my pc they're fantastic however summer is coming it's getting warmer and I'm struggling to have them on for long periods of time I tend to have them on often around 7-8hours a day so I'm looking for something that will allow me to have good quality audio while having them for long period of time I have been looking at some open backs but I'm not sure on them yet as sound around can be heard but idk how noticeable it is (I currently don't use noise cancelling on the headphones) but they are more breathable. And I do fancy treating myself to some good quality headphones.

So I would like some recommendations thank you!

Main points
1. Comfy for long periods.
2. preferable wired.
3. Good quality sound.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i was looking for a headset 6 months ago but i got side tracked

Shame you want wired as I would get
https://www.audeze.com/products/maxwell-wireless-gaming-headset (They owned by Sony now)

I ended up with https://www.focal.com/products/bathys which aren't exactly gaming headphones. They were just a good price at the time.

Which activity is most important?? Not all gaming headsets are amazing for music, they can have sound signatures better suited to hearing footsteps in games, for instance.

have you thought of using IEM as they don't suffer from the sweaty pad problem.

Reactions: Altom_

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
i was looking for a headset 6 months ago but i got side tracked

Shame you want wired as I would get
https://www.audeze.com/products/maxwell-wireless-gaming-headset (They owned by Sony now)

I ended up with https://www.focal.com/products/bathys which aren't exactly gaming headphones. They were just a good price at the time.

Which activity is most important?? Not all gaming headsets are amazing for music, they can have sound signatures better suited to hearing footsteps in games, for instance.

have you thought of using IEM as they don't suffer from the sweaty pad problem.
I'm leaning towards gaming is more important but it's hard to make a choice and I did look at iem however not a big fan of something going inside my ear unfortunately

But I'll definitely have a look at the ones you have sent thank you very much!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I only suggested IEM as I know other people use them. I don't mind them myself. Whereas entire world seems to be going wireless, I am going in opposite direction.

I might still buy some maxwells

I own the Maxwell and they WILL make your ears sweat. They are an awesome headset, though.

If you want lightweight, open -back, wired headphones I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic DT990(32 ohm) with a mod-mic. If you look the combo should be had for around $200usd.

BTW: Open-back headphones let ALL noises in AND also out. You will hear everything going on around you and those around you will hear what you're listening to.

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
I
I own the Maxwell and they WILL make your ears sweat. They are an awesome headset, though.

If you want lightweight, open -back, wired headphones I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic DT990(32 ohm) with a mod-mic. If you look the combo should be had for around $200usd.

BTW: Open-back headphones let ALL noises in AND also out. You will hear everything going on around you and those around you will hear what you're listening to.
I Have been interested in the beyerdynamic but I don't have the understanding of what's better in ohms 32,250,600 I presume it's more powerful however i don't know if that's makes it better or not I'm more than willing to buy a amp for one if that's the case but idk

I

I Have been interested in the beyerdynamic but I don't have the understanding of what's better in ohms 32,250,600 I presume it's more powerful however i don't know if that's makes it better or not I'm more than willing to buy a amp for one if that's the case but idk
The higher the ohms the higher the impedance the more powerful the amp needed to drive the transducer(speaker).

You can find quality DAC/AMPs for not much money.

Reactions: Altom_ and Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
One less thing I didn't know.

The rule of thumb is therefore that headphones with higher impedance often produce a higher-resolution sound. Headphones with lower impedance are therefore better suited to mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

I hadn't run into 250 before but then I don't have any speakers or desktop amps

Reactions: drivinfast247
Feb 2, 2024
I don't think any headphone is comfortable in hot conds. But for me the king is the HD 800s, most comfy, acceptable low end, very analytical/revealing like 4k or even 8k, has a very impressive "perceived sound stage" fantastic for everything.
Next best would be DT990 or DT1990pro, beyers are very comfy but require some small EQ to make them less harsh in the treble.

As far as ohms/impedance goes, the sad truth is most stuff is so loud that even my beyers at 600ohms sound loud enough off basic phones, laptops etc. impedance is really about matching to the source gear. It has no effect on sound quality that is just audiophile pseudoscience. All high impedance means is more voltage is needed for a given perceived loudness.
nowadays the sound that comes straight out of a laptop or motherboard jack sounds 90-95% as good as a expensive dac/amp setup.