Heat Can Heal Dead NAND Flash Cells and Extend Life

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

misterkay

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
"I also baked a HD4850. That card had plastic capacitors that all popped and filled my house with a wonderful smelling fog.
My wife was very unhappy."
I've had a couple power supplies pop and burn. Made my wife unhappy each time. :( Stupid generic power supplies! Nice to know I'm not the only one to have stuff like that happen.

masterbinky

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
The 800c is right at the gate, in a very tiny area.

This is already a known process to restore the cells in NAND, called annealing.

Typically you would see the NAND get baked ~450 for 7 or 8 hours to somewhat reliably restore the cells.

The Arstechnica article covers this a hell of a lot better than this little stub.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]sammual777[/nom]And after the spanking, the oral sex.[/citation]

Yes, there would be a nice romantic "spark" which would be quite shocking.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Placing old hard drives on their side, or upside down also works well, along with a nice low level format. If the motor dies, try "spanking" the hard drive (in a safe place) with the power on, it will jump start the motor again and the drive will once again start chugging along. This may sound like a joke but it actually works great! Use extreme caution, of course.[/citation]
I'm all for spanking, but if you've got a dying hard drive that's suffered head crash(es), and you're trying to recover data? I don't think a low-level format is going to be productive.[citation][nom]Evolution2001[/nom]I used the poor man's version of the process to revive my HP Pavilion dv9000-series laptop. (There was a class-action lawsuit against nVidia for failing to properly cool the GPU, leading to premature failure.)[/citation]Not exactly. Nvidia's failure was that they rated their chips for a certain heat range and power draw, but the reality was that their bump design and type/quality of solder used for the MCP was completely insufficient. HP (and other manufacturers) were actually the ones responsible for the cooling problems, Nvidia didn't design the laptops (although to be fair they were going by Nvidia specs). The result was that the high operating temps accelerated the failure. However, even if you didn't game or stress the GPU, they still failed eventually. If you knew about the problem before damage occurred, you could apply a BIOS patch that would ramp up the fans more aggressively and that would delay problems.

MCP failure could also cause issues like wifi malfunction before more severe problems started. Look up "nvidia bumpgate" for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.