Heatsink trouble now!

Jabba

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Anyone know how to remove a heatsink which looks like this?

(I know it does look distgustingly filthy - no wonder it was getting so hot
with all that fluff in there!)
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8986/pict00430jc.jpg

close up: http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7165/hs24oz.jpg

I've tried pressing down on the latch thing but then it seems you need to
bend the two metal side bits out so they can pass over the white bits, but
even then it doesn't seem to want to move.

The other side of the heatsink doesnt have that part on...

You'll need a small flathead screwdriver.. or other tool that can latch
into that upwards facing hook
press down firmly but carefully..
as your pressing down and you see the lockbar down, lean the
screwdriver as to slide the metal clip from under the white clips..
once free your free to remove the screwdriver and remove the latch
from the other side..

again as i mentioned in your other post.. careful when doing this.. but
with all that dirt in there thats not a good sign if this is the same
system we are talking about..

"Jabba" <c@t.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to remove a heatsink which looks like this?
>
> (I know it does look distgustingly filthy - no wonder it was getting so
hot
> with all that fluff in there!)
> http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8986/pict00430jc.jpg
>
> close up: http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7165/hs24oz.jpg
>
> I've tried pressing down on the latch thing but then it seems you need to
> bend the two metal side bits out so they can pass over the white bits, but
> even then it doesn't seem to want to move.
>
> The other side of the heatsink doesnt have that part on...

Yes, you press down on the latch, then angle it away from the CPU, or
use a second screwdriver to move the bracket away from the CPU.
Mike.

In article <de4vn0$gea$1@wisteria.csv.warwick.ac.uk>, Jabba says...
> Anyone know how to remove a heatsink which looks like this?
>
> (I know it does look distgustingly filthy - no wonder it was getting so hot
> with all that fluff in there!)
> http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8986/pict00430jc.jpg
>
> close up: http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7165/hs24oz.jpg
>
> I've tried pressing down on the latch thing but then it seems you need to
> bend the two metal side bits out so they can pass over the white bits, but
> even then it doesn't seem to want to move.
>
> The other side of the heatsink doesnt have that part on...

Why do you need one? Get a stiff 2" or 3" paintbrush and use that to
get rid of the fluff.

Anyone who buys a new heatsink just because of that is a muppet.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.

Jabba wrote:

> Managed to take it off now.

It helps to have the right screwdriver, something with a blade about
1/4" wide (sides tapered flat, not curved like those made for electric
screwdrivers) and a shaft at least 5" long for leverage.

Jabba

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Anyone who buys a new heatsink just because of that is a muppet.
>

> --
> Conor

Managed to take it off now.

I didnt want to replace it, originally I just wanted to put some thermal
paste on the die as my temps were running too high, but today I needed to
get it off to replace it in a new motherboard