Help.. 9400gt Problems on Vista 64 bit

missmf1

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I know everyone is asking why a 9400gt? I had a 9500gs and the fan went hP will not help me the way I need and this is my only solution.. I had allready tried the ati 4350 and that would do the same darn thing ! soo following are my specs and problems I am having.. PLEASE HELP I have been trying this for about 2 weeks now :( :-(

Okie here is the issue and some problems I have run into.. I have been trying to "upgrade" my graphics card... It is technically a "new" install because I have tried everything including a "factory reinstall" of my POS hp OEM bloatware-loaded pc. When factory came it had a 9500GS, but the fan failed and HP hates me ! :) :cry::cry::cry::cry:

** THE issues and trouble shooting I went through will be at the end of the system specs! *******

Anyways here is some of my system specs :

Machine name: *********
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: KQ497AA-ABA m9340f
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/28/08 16:53:51 Ver: 5.22
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6134MB RAM
Page File: 1733MB used, 10646MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C2&SUBSYS_2A6F103C&REV_02
Display Memory: 286 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 286 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (70Hz)
Monitor: Generic Non-PnP Monitor
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0010.1666 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 2/26/2009 19:46:40, 5541888 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

PROBLEMS & PROCEDURES as FOLLOWEs :

** I am going to pull my hair out !!!! ** PLEAS HELP !

I uninstall anything with the name ATI or NVIDIA - Turned off my computer, restarted disabled intergrated in Bios then let the computer boot up, then turned off computer again.. Installed the card, then booted up.. Vista 64bit, installed the generic VGA driver and all was fine other then it was running with a generic adapter.. So I went and installed the most recent forceware/drivers I could find.. I tried this many times with different drivers .. *Rinse & repeat* I even used driver sweeper in safe mode to remove drivers & such...

The problem :

When I reboot after the install of the recent drivers, I get the black screen (no video) but windows does boot just fine?!?!? I do not understand what is the problem? Can anyone help?

* my biggest issue is how come the card would work until I updated the graphics driver fromt he generic VGA adapter to the 9400gt driver? When the drivers were installed the device manager even stated the correct 94oo gt nvidia name..? So why would it not work after the reboot? Should I go with an older driver? Should I go with the one WIndows is suggesting/ from windows updatE? I think I tried that also but perhaps I will try to monkey around with this until I get it or until someone that is amazing can give me an answer!?!? This is rediculous...
I also could not install a ATI 4350 on here either I returned that for the 9400gt.. Thinking that because my computer came with an NVIDIA that it would work..

A couple questions...
Should I disable the intel in the device manager before disabling it in bios, or after? or not at all? (The rep from PNY said I did not have to)?
Should I try to update my bios ?

I am really upset as we can see above my comp is capable running with intel on-board graphics fine but,, I just bought the sims 3 and want to use the "nicer" graphics that I can get with this card.. I know it isnt the best card but come on , installing a GPU should not be this difficult...

IN ADVANCE THANK YOU !!!

** Any other specs needed I will send promptly please help !! **

*~* MEl*~*

missmf1

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Hello,
Thanks for the reply, I only have my LCD tv no mointor so I do not think I can do that..
This is what I found that works but I also have a new problem now..

What worked :

I used the "safe-mode"- enable low resolution to get into my desktop, changed the resolution then rebooted and it was fine.. the native resolution for my tv is not one that the computer/ or tv can understand (which doesn't make sense to me) but that worked!!! The card works now but will only let me update to the latest driver from MARCH?, I want the new driver NVIDIA has for my card...
When trying to run the pc after rebooting after installing the new driver I get the blank screen again.. Possibly due to the same problem as above but ! I cannot change to the safe-mode lower resolution screen and I do not know why? This again is only happening with the most current June/may driver for my card, HELP !??!?

Thanks in advance again ,
Mel

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_185.85_whql.html

Link to my driver that I WANT(185.85), current is 182.50 ..... What is wrong or what did I do wrong? (also can I just download the monitoring software from NVIDA without the current driver? & how important is it to have the most current diver? )

I am currently using a VGA cable for the card/tv , if I used the dvi/hdmi cable perhaps that may let me get in there and tinker? What do you think?
THANK YOU ! :hello: