[SOLVED] Help, any guide to undervolt Ryzen 9 5950X (New at this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2021
Hello everyone
My temperatures are a bit high depending on what I play for example in Horizon Zero Dawn I see up to 78º depending on what situation, in cyberpunk about 75º (Noctua NH - D15 dual fan) i see videos of people playing the same games with same specs and similiar coolers or even worse ones and they get like 50º playing horizon or cyberpunk i cant uderstand that xd
I think my Idle is fine, between 36º - 40º
Even so, I have been researching for a while and I see that many Ryzen owners recommend doing undervolt since it improves performance, consumes less voltage and therefore lower temperatures
Even so I can't find any guide to undervolt with PBO2 curve optimizer, so I don't know how and im a little scared to break my cpu or something XD
I know it has a maximum of -30 counts
What value do I put? How do I check that it is stable?
Thanks a lot

Solution
As CountMike said, your temperatures within normal range.

Ok, I have about 5°C lower temps (at idle & full load) than you, with cheaper CPU cooler (on 5900X). The thing is, slight differences are always to be expected. For example, maybe your room temperature is 2°C higher, PC case airflow is different, we use different fans... We also use different motherboard and so stock settings in BIOS aren't 100% the same. A little here and a little there, and we get 5°C difference.
Maybe you can get lower temps (at full load) by adjusting fan speed curves in BIOS -that does make a difference!

Overclocking/undervolting should only be used when it's really needed. For example, your PC is in hot environment and no matter how good airflow you...
Hello everyone
My temperatures are a bit high depending on what I play for example in Horizon Zero Dawn I see up to 78º depending on what situation, in cyberpunk about 75º (Noctua NH - D15 dual fan) i see videos of people playing the same games with same specs and similiar coolers or even worse ones and they get like 50º playing horizon or cyberpunk i cant uderstand that xd
I think my Idle is fine, between 36º - 40º
Even so, I have been researching for a while and I see that many Ryzen owners recommend doing undervolt since it improves performance, consumes less voltage and therefore lower temperatures
Even so I can't find any guide to undervolt with PBO2 curve optimizer, so I don't know how and im a little scared to break my cpu or something XD
I know it has a maximum of -30 counts
What value do I put? How do I check that it is stable?
Thanks a lot
Those temps are fine for Zen3 processors specially under an air cooler. You didn't say which MB you have but with most you can access BIOS, set manual voltage control to Negative Offset and enter -0.05 to -0.1v. so it should lower all voltages up to that amount.

Reactions: Phaaze88
As CountMike said, your temperatures within normal range.

Ok, I have about 5°C lower temps (at idle & full load) than you, with cheaper CPU cooler (on 5900X). The thing is, slight differences are always to be expected. For example, maybe your room temperature is 2°C higher, PC case airflow is different, we use different fans... We also use different motherboard and so stock settings in BIOS aren't 100% the same. A little here and a little there, and we get 5°C difference.
Maybe you can get lower temps (at full load) by adjusting fan speed curves in BIOS -that does make a difference!

Overclocking/undervolting should only be used when it's really needed. For example, your PC is in hot environment and no matter how good airflow you have, temperatures go above recommended -in this case, lowering temp is your goal (even you might lose a tiny bit of performance). The second scenario would be, your PC runs at low temp even at full load, so you'd try to increase performance a bit (simply because you can).

From my experience, default (Auto) settings in BIOS are pretty darn good. It can be quite hard to lower the temperature by 2-3°C without loosing some performance. And vice versa: almost impossible to increase performance significantly without increasing temperature. Yes, I did try both (just out of curiosity) and.. just isn't worth the hassle for me. Or I better say: isn't worth for 5900X/5950X CPU.
Check these two videos:
Undervolting with PBO2 and Precision Boost Overdrive 2 Guide

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.