Question Help buying a laptop!

Mar 16, 2019
Hi everybody I’m new here please forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong area as I’m not to sure about anything lol.

Here’s my situation I’m looking to buy a laptop and my funds are not ideal currently so I am buying pre owned.

I’m planing on using it for mainly business/personal use, no heavy duty gaming or programs the business use I plan on using it for is mainly Emails and a directory of petrochemical plants and company’s that is an actual website that uses a log in to get the information so I don’t think that’ll need much power to use and other then that it’ll be random web surfing and emails like I said.

So here’s what I’m working with. It’s an older Lenovo ThinkPad twist with an intel core i3 4GB ram 256gb hard drive 1.8 GHz I believe All running on windows 8 pro

Then we have an Asus R510L (I think that’s the model) that has an intel core I5 with 8GB ram and 480gb hard drive 1.70Ghz windows 10 home for $200

And then an HP not sure what’s the model name with an intel core I7 8Gb ram 125gb hard drive 2.0Ghz windows 10 pro for $250

My question for you lovely experts is this. Which of these computers will run the best and fastest as in start up time and just general loading up pages or menus and things like that. I understand my internet connection is a big part of that but I’m sick of having laptops that are slow as a turtle all answers would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Last edited:
Whichever of those has a solid state drive would be the fastest in start up. Outside of that, the i7 system will be the fastest all other things being equal.

There are many factors when picking a laptop, especially used. Condition, screen type, size and quality of screen, drive type, drive condition, battery condition, etc...

Just listing specs won't get you any info about the system to actually make a decision, any more than you can list specs of a car and try to guess which one is better. 4 doors, 250 hp,. 30,000 miles or hatchback and 200hp, 35,000 miles, that does not tell you how nice the materials are, build quality and how tight the platform is, in what shape it's in, how it handles, how good the tires are, how it was taken care of, etc..

Mar 16, 2019
Whichever of those has a solid state drive would be the fastest in start up. Outside of that, the i7 system will be the fastest all other things being equal.

There are many factors when picking a laptop, especially used. Condition, screen type, size and quality of screen, drive type, drive condition, battery condition, etc...

Just listing specs won't get you any info about the system to actually make a decision, any more than you can list specs of a car and try to guess which one is better. 4 doors, 250 hp,. 30,000 miles or hatchback and 200hp, 35,000 miles, that does not tell you how nice the materials are, build quality and how tight the platform is, in what shape it's in, how it handles, how good the tires are, how it was taken care of, etc..

Thank you so much for the reply and I understand what you mean sorry I couldn’t give more information j just thought those were the most important details

Thank you so much for the reply and I understand what you mean sorry I couldn’t give more information j just thought those were the most important details

Those are good details for just core speed of the components, but are not good when it comes to actually picking a system. As in my other example, you would not pick a car just because its lighter and gets better gas mileage or has a certain horsepower right? You need to look at everything about the system. I would take an older system in good shape with a good screen over a new one that was beat up or needed the drive replaced. Think about a used computer same as you would a used car.

Even when new, you should not pick a system based on just the RAM or CPU or video card unless everything else is equal.