Help choosing a motherboard

CoronaX

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Hi,

I am currently in the process of upgrading (well, upgrading is an understatement - I'm still running a 1-core CPU!) my computer, in order to be able to run Battlefield 3 on max settings.

I've already more or less decided on a CPU (i5 2500K), RAM (2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws 1333 MHz CL7) and GPU (MSI Radeon HD 6990 4GB), but I'm struggling picking a motherboard...

Having heard about the problems with the H67- and P67-series motherboards, I think my best bet is a Z68. Now, I've looked through the options available to me in my online store, and narrowed my selection down to the following models (selection criteria basically based on whether the card can fit 2x 6990's (for future upgrades) as well as my PCI X-Fi card):

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
ASRock Z68 Extreme4
MSI Z68A-GD65 G3

Can anyone help me pick a board?
The computer will mainly be used for BF3, as well as various non-demanding tasks (HD video playback, web browsing etc.). I do plan to do some overclocking as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

I personally would go with the Gigabyte or Asus boards.

I am not sure which P67 issues you are referring to, but since you are using a dedicated GPU the P67 will save you a few bucks.

I also would suggest not going with a (pair) of 6990's... I would instead go with 6950/6970 cards, as the only point that the 6990's will perform better is if you are gaming on ultra-resolution monitors (5760x1080) otherwise, the cheaper 6970/6950 will perform just as well if not better.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Im going to deviate a bit and say that I would recommend the Asrock mobo. Granted they havent been around as long as any of the others, but they are a bud sprouted from Asus and from the reviews i have seen and the experience my friend has had (he is using that exact same board) i would say go with that one.