[SOLVED] Help choosing a power supply (first time build)

stebobibo

Commendable
May 6, 2021
Hi, I could use some help choosing a power supply. Building a new PC. Below are the parts I already have for it:
  • Motherboard:MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk Gaming
  • CPU:Intel i5-10600KF
  • GPU:Gigabyte Radeon RX 6650 XT EAGLE Graphics Card
  • RAM:2x8GB
Not sure how much wattage to go for. I did a few online calculators, but they had wildly different results. Didn't help that some parts aren't options on some of the calcs, so I had to choose what I thought was closest. Some of the calc results:
Outervision recommended 504W​
PCbuilds: 600W​
Newegg:700-800W​
The PC I have now is 700W and it's 10 years old and this will be a huge upgrade. So it seems to me I should need 700W or more. But that's just my uneducated guess.

Another question is about rails. Was reading a PSU buying guide, and he said if it's over 500W, you should get more than 1 12V rail. Is this even good advice? One problem is, they are hard to find. I've checked out a lot of PSUs today, at various price points and power outputs, but haven't seen a single one with multiple 12V rails. Also, how would I search for them (what to write in searchbar on vendor websites?)?

The next question is price point. The prices are so wild. I've seen 500W PSUs cost more than 1000W. And within each Watt range the price range is several hundreds of dollars, too. And I can't look at a $50 500W PSU and a $400 500W PSU and tell what one's better. Most of them have 0 or very few reviews too, making it even harder. So I'd really appreciate any help when it comes to choosing a power supply. If you have recommendations for a specific model, please feel free to give it. Thanks so much!