HELP, CMOS checksum error - default loaded

Bmorgan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Hi, I am getting the error message 'CMOS checksum error - default loaded' every time that I boot my PC. It only occurs when I have switched off the PC at the plug. If I leave the computer plugged in, but shut down then the next time I reboot it starts up fine.

After the message has come up I have to press F1 to continue and the time and date are reset.

Anyone have any solutions to how i can fix the problem?

Thanks

Ben

Simple as that? are there any other explanations or is it blatently the battery?

The battery supplies the charge that holds the information in CMOS memory when it looses the information after shutting down the battery is too weak to maintain the information.

Make sure you get the exact number replacement battery its usually a 2032 3V Lithium, you can use any brand Duracell, EverReady, Etc., just make sure the type is the same and when reinserted the writing is visable.

hlhneast

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Hey not to steal your post but I also experienced this exact Checksum error on first boot after about a 5 month down time. I also had to press F1 every boot. Now the system has crashed, no POST, nothing except the lights on the CD roms blink and the HD light stays lit for about 30 seconds. Do you think the CMOS battery is the culprit? Thanks!

Hey not to steal your post but I also experienced this exact Checksum error on first boot after about a 5 month down time. I also had to press F1 every boot. Now the system has crashed, no POST, nothing except the lights on the CD roms blink and the HD light stays lit for about 30 seconds. Do you think the CMOS battery is the culprit? Thanks!

If its been down for 5 months with the battery still in the M/B its probably completely dead and done for, pop in a new one and see what happens.

hlhneast

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Ryan, thanks for your reply. I think the battery was giving me trouble before the down time. The system kept rebooting for no apparent reason. Is this also a symptom of the bad battery?

Ryan, thanks for your reply. I think the battery was giving me trouble before the down time. The system kept rebooting for no apparent reason. Is this also a symptom of the bad battery?

Posibly in combination with a bad Power Supply allowing electrical fluctuations to the M/B itself, but a machine rebooting on its own could be any number of problems, virus, intermittent memory failure, power fluctuations, bad power supply, etc. etc.????

Once the CMOS battery is replaced see if the rebooting begins again and post what happens, include any errors if you get any.