[SOLVED] HELP. Computer making high pitched sound

Mar 24, 2020
My computer has been making this high pitched squealing noise for a couple of days. I tried cleaning my computer with compressed air but that didn't resolve the issue.

Solution
Do you think it is coming from a particular fan? When a fan's bearings get worn after years of use, they make quite a bit of noise. IF that is the cause, it can be tough to identify the particular fan. But you can open the case while it's running and use a regular pencil for this test. One fan at a time, reach in with the rubber ERASER end and gently touch the spinning fan blades to stop the fan, then let it go after a second. IF the fan has a problem, the noise will stop when the blades are stopped.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do you think it is coming from a particular fan? When a fan's bearings get worn after years of use, they make quite a bit of noise. IF that is the cause, it can be tough to identify the particular fan. But you can open the case while it's running and use a regular pencil for this test. One fan at a time, reach in with the rubber ERASER end and gently touch the spinning fan blades to stop the fan, then let it go after a second. IF the fan has a problem, the noise will stop when the blades are stopped.

Reactions: AlamChip
Solution