-Intel Q6600
-Intel DX48BT2
-ATI Radeon HD4870
-2 Gigabytes of Corsair DDR 3 Ram
- Corsair VX550W PSU
-Antec 900 Case
-Zalman CNPS9700 LED Processor Fan
-250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 Hard Drive

I went to class on Sunday as usual, and the computer was shut off when I came back. I tried turning on the computer, but it only turned on for a second before it shuts off. I have had this computer for over a year and the only other problem I had was similar to this one. Before, the computer would need to be powered on multiple times before actually running. I would hit the power button, and it would turn on, but nothing would show up on the monitor until about the 5th try. For about a week, I would live with it and just turn it off and turn it on until it ran. Finally, after one long annoying week, I saw that my processor fan was loose, so I tightened the screw and voila, no more problems.

Back to my current problem, I don't think my PSU is dead because I can see the fan spinning for about a second before it shuts off. All of my fans and LEDs work when I hit the power button, except for the Zalman Processor fan. I noticed that the latch-bar from the processor was blocking the fan, and now the fan won't even power on(fan doesn't spin and LEDs don't light). Its possible that the processor fried in the short period that I wasn't home since it seems like the processor fan was broken without me knowing it, but I didn't smell any electrical smoke nor did I see any difference in the processor when I got home. I've also removed my graphics card since it takes up a lot of power, but I still have the problem. I also tried moving my PSU power cord from the power surge to the wall outlet. I'm also aware that their was no power outage or power surge when the computer stopped working. Also, I'd like to mention that the motherboard lights are still working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-John

n3f0ur

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
If BIOS default was loaded, the cpu would throttle down and the pc would shut down if the cpu overheated.

1st thing 1st, clear cmos for 1 hour. See manual for how.

My guess is the cpu hsf. You can plug in any 3-pin case fans in the cpu fan header if you don't have another cpu fan. Just plug the case fan connector in the 4-pin cpu header like so:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-012074.htm

Leave the cpu heatsink on. The goal is to power on the pc. Hold and point the fan at the heatsink. The grill side should face the cpu. Press power button. What happens?

Forsheeezy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

Ok, I will clear the CMOS by taking out the battery. However, I managed to get the fan working again, but, I still had the same problem where it would shut off after one second. I'm probably going to go to my friends house to test the PSU and CPU.

I would say it was a wise choice to test to see if it is your psu.
If i was going to do that, make sure you find a good known working one.
Branded. with Enough watts and Amps for stable operation.

What i would never do is take it out and test it on another PC.
In case the power supply has become unstable in some way.
It could Damage the other Pc aswell, you intend to test it with.

If you Still have the same problem, On trying a good known PSU in your PC.
It could be a short.

Any component that has failed within the pc should at least give a Bios error Beep code.
But only if the CPU is in working condition.
But since your pc does not get to that Stage. Shut`s Down after 1 second.
It looks more like a bad Psu, Dead Cpu, or Short.
Bad Memory.

Pain i know. but pays to examine all.

Forsheeezy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

This is very useful information Shaun. I will test the PSU today using this method : http://www.metacafe.com/watch/729606/how_to_test_your_computers_power_supply_psu/

But another thing is that I went to my friends house to test the CPU and his computer powered up fine.

I'll look up how to test the memory.

Thanks again

-John