Help! CPU going below base speed

Jun 20, 2018
Hello, I have a new built computer with Ryzen 5 2400g.
I noticed that my base CPU BASE speed is 3.6ghz but on average its less than that from 2.5ghz-2.8ghz. Sometimes it would reach its base speed at 3.6 and above but its very inconsistent.

If my base speed is 3.6Ghz, why on average is it lower than that i.e 2.7 GHz
How do I fix this? Whats wrong?

Solution
There's nothing wrong with the processor. They all do this and will ramp up on frequency when needed. This is their power saving function that is built into every cpu. Nothing to worry about unless it never ramps up to the base speed or above. It is working just like designed. I have an 8700k and it goes all the way down to 800mhz when idle in the Windows desktop.

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
I have never used an AMD processor before, but my guess is that AMD CPUs are designed to dynamically to changes its frequency multiplier based on the activity. If your computer is on idle, the frequency will be much lower. And when doing something demanding such as gaming, it will ramp up beyond its base clock (Which is the boost clock).

But if that's not the case, then I recommend performing a BIOS update. It's been fixing some AMD CPUs with frequency issues, this fix also worked with my mate's PC, with a 1700X. Can you please tell us what your motherboard is?

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
There's nothing wrong with the processor. They all do this and will ramp up on frequency when needed. This is their power saving function that is built into every cpu. Nothing to worry about unless it never ramps up to the base speed or above. It is working just like designed. I have an 8700k and it goes all the way down to 800mhz when idle in the Windows desktop.

Solution