Question Help creating a Batch File ?

Apr 16, 2021
I don't exactly know where to post this other than here being my best bet maybe? Anyways, I've never made a batch file before. I need to create one that can copy stuff within one folder, then put what it copied in another. I don't know if it's possible to do this at certain intervals and that it will keep overwriting that file location if it can be done at intervals ?
If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Ralston18

Titan
MS DOS Copy Command. You may need to write a Batch File depending on the detailed requirements.

Powershell Copy-Item Command. You may need to write a Script File depending on the detailed requirement.

Generally very straight forward to write and execute. Start simple and expand as you learn.

Practice/learn on a test system if at all possible. Otherwise create test directories/folders and files to learn on.

As always be very sure that all other important files and data are all backed up at least 2 x and proven recoverable and readable.

Note: There are also corresponding Move commands. However, if the Move commands goes astray there is no original file left behind.

Move and Copy are not the same. However, you can learn more by comparing Copy and Move batch files and scripts.

Reactions: GangstaPichu

USAFRet

Titan
I don't exactly know where to post this other than here being my best bet maybe? Anyways, I've never made a batch file before. I need to create one that can copy stuff within one folder, then put what it copied in another. I don't know if it's possible to do this at certain intervals and that it will keep overwriting that file location if it can be done at intervals ?
If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!
Why do you need this?
(knowing the Why may help to see the How)

How often will this function be run?
Personal system, work system, something else?
Does it have to be a batch file? There are many free tools that already do this.

Reactions: GangstaPichu
Apr 16, 2021
MS DOS Copy Command. You may need to write a Batch File depending on the detailed requirements.

Powershell Copy-Item Command. You may need to write a Script File depending on the detailed requirement.

Generally very straight forward to write and execute. Start simple and expand as you learn.

Practice/learn on a test system if at all possible. Otherwise create test directories/folders and files to learn on.

As always be very sure that all other important files and data are all backed up at least 2 x and proven recoverable and readable.

Note: There are also corresponding Move commands. However, if the Move commands goes astray there is no original file left behind.

Move and Copy are not the same. However, you can learn more by comparing Copy and Move batch files and scripts.
Thanks!

Apr 16, 2021
Why do you need this?
(knowing the Why may help to see the How)

How often will this function be run?
Personal system, work system, something else?
Does it have to be a batch file? There are many free tools that already do this.

It's for a server. I need a way to back up the world folder so no one loses stuff.

Between 12 - 24 hrs it'd be run for.

3rd party

Only way to do it is plugins and batch files. Which I have no idea how to code a plugin. So, my best bet is to mess with a batch file and slug that in there.