Question Help diagnosing the problem.

Jwalant Gangwar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2014
So I have a fx9590, despite its reputation it has served me really well and has never given me any problems.

I have been using the Corsair H100i. The whole set up is almost 5 years old. So recently the temperature started spiking (Idle at around 60 and the more demanding game shoots it past 90) resulting in the PC shutting down. I thought the pump is failing or has failed.

So the first thing I did was reapply thermal paste , which made no difference.

Luckily for me, my friend just bought a Cooler Master Masterair MA620P for his set up (We have identical machines). So I installed this to confirm if it was the AIO that was the problem or something else. Surprisingly with the air cooler the lowest temperature recorded was 22 but on the other hand now the games that didn't shut down the PC and even Unity which ran without problems before is immediately raising the temperature past 80 and the PC shuts down.

I am incredibly confused and cannot figure out what this is? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Cooler Master Masterair MA620P is a downgrade from the Corsair H100i. Even in TH benchmarks, the Corsair H100i ran 13°C cooler than the MA620P.

The FX9590 runs hots and can only really get up to 70 degrees before throttling (from my understanding).

Firstly, I would absolutely verify that you have seated the new cooler correctly and adequately. Beyond that, if your H100i temperatures were around 50/60 degrees under high load previously, I'd say this kind of spike is expected moving the MA620P IMO.

Jwalant Gangwar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2014
The MA620P is barely able to keep an i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz under 90C https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/116825-cooler-master-masterair-ma620p/?page=2 At that clock speed the 8700K and the FX9590 are probably close in power consumption and heat output. I wonder if your AIO needed a new coating of thermal paste. After a while the paste can go bad, especially if it is subjected to high heat the entire time.

I forgot to mention. I will edit the post.

The first thing I did was reapply thermal paste.

Jwalant Gangwar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2014
From what I understand. my friend fucked up getting MA620P for his 9590.

So if we have to conclude this the problem is probably the AIO and MA620P is inadequate for the heat 9590 produces. I should probably get a new Liquid Cooler.

Jwalant Gangwar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2014
Reactions: PC Tailor