Question Help: Does anyone know where this 4-pin cable goes?

Jaser

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Posting in Cases since the issue is with a case. Let me know if I need to move it.

Link to imgur album of related pictures.
View: https://imgur.com/a/BD40h2N

I upgraded my motherboard and more or less rebuilt my pc, only things I didn't change were some SDD's, the power supply, and the case itself. Everything is working, except for this.

I cannot find where on my motherboard this cable is supposed to go. The cable belongs to a control unit on the case which is supposed to operate the onboard fans. The case itself is no longer being made, and the cable might(?) be proprietary since I can't seem to find anything on google, though I'm hardly an expert on these things.

I feel like I've tried just about every 4 pin connector I can. I've tried every chassis fan slot, CPU_OPT, AIO controller, the rgb slots, and so on. The BIOS doesn't recognize the fans in any of these slots. If I've missed something, please inform me.
The last picture in the album is of the area where a red light is blinking, the led above the cylinder on the left, presumably because the built-in chassis fans aren't powered.

The old motherboard was an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wi-Fi, the new motherboard is ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS Wi-Fi.

Here's a link to the case itself.

If for some reason it's relevant, the back pre-installed fan broke a while ago and was replaced. The front fans still worked fine at the time.

That's the fan control cable coming from the case that goes into the fan controller slot on the motherboard. If compatible, you should be able to plug it into one of the CHA_FAN# (1,2,3,4) and it work but that's IF the motherboard supports the fans and is able to control them.

Where did it plug into on your previous motherboard?

EDIT #1:
I did notice after looking at the manuals for both boards that there is a clear difference in the type of fan controller software being used. That could be one of the reasons why it's not functioning.

Old board: Q-Fan (Page 1-14)
New board: Fan Xpert 4 via Armory Crate (Page 1-8)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaser

Jaser

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
That's the fan control cable coming from the case that goes into the fan controller slot on the motherboard. If compatible, you should be able to plug it into one of the CHA_FAN# (1,2,3,4) and it work but that's IF the motherboard supports the fans and is able to control them.

Where did it plug into on your previous motherboard?
I don't completely remember, but I'm pretty sure it was in a CHA_FAN slot. Like I said, I tried plugging it into one of them in the new motherboard and it didn't work.

So you're saying it might be because the motherboard isn't compatible with the fans? If that's the case, I'll just have to deal with being three fans down until I can get a new case.

I don't completely remember, but I'm pretty sure it was in a CHA_FAN slot. Like I said, I tried plugging it into one of them in the new motherboard and it didn't work.

So you're saying it might be because the motherboard isn't compatible with the fans? If that's the case, I'll just have to deal with being three fans down until I can get a new case.
Honestly, it's a possibility of the software in the BIOS not being compatible.

If you plug them in and then boot to Windows, are you able to download a 3rd party fan controller program and see them that way?

Jaser

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Honestly, it's a possibility of the software in the BIOS not being compatible.

If you plug them in and then boot to Windows, are you able to download a 3rd party fan controller program and see them that way?
As far as I can tell, any software I use is just telling me there are a total of 7 fan "slots" (CHA #1-4, CPU, AIO_PUMP, CPU_OPT), and two of them are presently working, which is correct. I did notice that it's not reading my GPU fans, but I'm not sure that's relevant. I can confirm they're on.

View: https://imgur.com/a/nqvCijF

Jaser

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, makes me wonder if something isn't jiving right with the controller on the case.

Do the individual fans plug into said controller or are they all wired together somehow?
They do all plug into the controller, yes. The plugs appear to be 6 pins though, so I'm not sure I'd be able to plug them directly into a CHA_FAN.