HELP! DS3 BIOS corrupted, how to re-flash/fix?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pinoyako

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
from the manual

please note that because updating BIOS has potential risk, please do it with CAUTION!! we are sorry that Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd is not responsible for damages of incorrect manipulation of updating BIOS to avod any claims from end-users

kevyeoh

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
yea...same here...i sent an email to gigabyte as well but from their reply...it seems like they are just shrugging it off and ask me to contact my local supplier....

since @BIOS s@cks so much, why they are not doing anything about it?

Viceras

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
They pass off all the issues to the suppliers so it can be a pain in the arse if something goes wrong but you're entitled to a replacement you may just have to wait some. I have just bought a new board rev3.3 this time from the same supplier as he was so back logged with work it was going to take him 10days to check my board i thought f##k waiting 10days i'll just buy one and when he finds the fault he'll give me a refund which he agreed to so it'll be sorted in a few weeks bit of hassle but what can you do? It's not like we can call a gigabyte rep up is it they dont have a euro number :twisted:

I read these posts all the time.
The simple basic fact is this.....
Unless you are having a problem with your PC that a new BIOS update is written SPECIFICALLY to correct, updating the BIOS on your motherboard is absolutely and completely pointless.

If during the flash process, you make 1 tiny mistake, or if any glitch happens, and you reboot, you now have a dead motherboard and there is NOTHING you can do at home to recover it. If the BIOS is removable, you can order a new one. If not, you have to get a new motherboard.

pinoyako

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Recently I tried updating my BIOS to version F8 using Q-Flash Utility via Windows but when it reached 100%, it said "BIOS Write Protection". Not knowing of the danger (how foolish I was), I restarted my PC. To my horror, nothing appears on the screen; everything went blank. I've read that bootlock's running & it would require a floppy bootdisk to reflash my BIOS. Unfortunately, I don't have a floppy drive...is there a good way to do that using CD-ROM instead? The CD-ROM drive does flash... I'd hate sending it back for RMA cuz it'll take ages, so I'd really appreciate anyone's opinion on how I can fix this by myself. BIG thanks.

By the way, I couldn't seem to find the BIOS chip. Is it soldered something?

Try reseting the bios by shorting two pins near the PCIe slot on the motherboard. (I have DS3 MB. I had to remove my video card to get to them) Use one of those little black "thingys" used to set the hard drive up as master or slave. Keep it shorted for at least thirty seconds or so (with power off, of course). That should load a default bios. re-boot to bios set up and select "safe settings". Go from there.

Note: Always change bios settings to "default" (get rid of any over clock settings) prior to any bios flash upgrade.

why is this so?

BTW, ill only update my BIOS if (and is there even a chance?) Gigabyte releases a BIOS update that will allow 1333 proc FSB on my board S3 rev x.x