Question Help Figuring out why my system is slow

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Hey all,
I've been having issues with my systems being slow for the past 16 months or so. I say systemS because I started with an Alienware Area 51 R5 from 2018, and I've since (in the past 12 months) replaced every component save for the PSU which I doubt is causing system lag, but maybe?

The reason I upgraded was because my programmer friend suggested it might be my PCIE lanes because I have multiple NVME drives in my system. I started with a GPU upgrade, then motherboard and CPU, then RAM. I've recentlyreplaced two of my 2TB NVME drives with one 4TB drive, so my total NVME drives are two 4TB now instead of 3.

Current hardware:
I just finished a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 22H2 yesterday (3rd time since I started experiencing the slowdowns).

When I say slowdowns, it's mostly when running Unreal Engine 5, 3D Studio Max, or Streaming video. Everything was smooth as butter before, but now in Unreal I get constant frame drops where I'll have 120 fps, and then it suddenly drops down to 22 fps for a few seconds, regardless of the scene. in 3ds max, I get constant stuttering while scrolling in the UI.
As for Streaming, YT is mostly okay, but sometimes I get lag spikes where the video freezes, and with Netflix, Amazon, and Disney Plus, my monitors cut out to black, and then come back maybe 3 seconds later when I first load the site. Netflix stutters constantly while scrolling vids, but the other two don't. I haven't noticed any slowdown in games, but I haven't been playing much in the way of modern AAA games lately so that's likely why.

I'm thinking the issue is either still the PCIE lanes, or the GPU I bought. As I said though, the first few months after buying the GPU were great (before I upgraded any other hardware), and when I play Dead By Daylight, everything runs fine.

CPUZ Screenshot at link:
View: https://i.imgur.com/M0knIFR.png

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in your build.

64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 RAM (4 16GB dimms)
Can you please pass on a link to the ram kit? An image of the PCB revisions for the sticks of ram would help us two fold.

I just finished a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 22H2 yesterday (3rd time since I started experiencing the slowdowns).
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode?

I'm thinking the issue is either still the PCIE lanes, or the GPU I bought. As I said though, the first few months after buying the GPU were great (before I upgraded any other hardware), and when I play Dead By Daylight, everything runs fine.
It can't be lanes since I don't see any mention of lanes being shared on the motherboard's manual.

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in your build.

64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 RAM (4 16GB dimms)
Can you please pass on a link to the ram kit? An image of the PCB revisions for the sticks of ram would help us two fold.

Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode?

It can't be lanes since I don't see any mention of lanes being shared on the motherboard's manual.
It's just the PSU that came with my Alienware, so I guess it's a Dell. No idea about the model. I could open it up and look tomorrow, but it worked fine for 5 years in my Alienware. I think it's an 800 Watt, but I might be wrong. I can check tomorrow if you think it's necessary.

The ram I bought 2 weeks ago and at Bestbuy, so I don't think it would be the issue since I've been experiencing similar problems for more than a year. I bought two kits of this one though: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...hz-desktop-memory-cmw32gx4m2e3200c16/15300646

OS is from the Media Creation Tool so from MS. Did not install the OS in offline.
You say it can't be lanes, but I'm a little confused about the lanes... my GPU will take 16 and my OS NVME will take another 4 apparently. That's 20 right there which is the CPU limit. The other one doesn't typically run in tandem so maybe it's not an issue. I know the motherboard has more lanes on the chipset as well, that's why I bought it, but aren't they bottlenecked on their way to the CPU anyway? Like if the CPU only has 20 lanes, wouldn't it not matter it the Mobo has more than 20?

It's just the PSU that came with my Alienware, so I guess it's a Dell. No idea about the model. I could open it up and look tomorrow, but it worked fine for 5 years in my Alienware. I think it's an 800 Watt, but I might be wrong. I can check tomorrow if you think it's necessary.

The ram I bought 2 weeks ago and at Bestbuy, so I don't think it would be the issue since I've been experiencing similar problems for more than a year. I bought two kits of this one though: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...hz-desktop-memory-cmw32gx4m2e3200c16/15300646

OS is from the Media Creation Tool so from MS. Did not install the OS in offline.
You say it can't be lanes, but I'm a little confused about the lanes... my GPU will take 16 and my OS NVME will take another 4 apparently. That's 20 right there which is the CPU limit. The other one doesn't typically run in tandem so maybe it's not an issue. I know the motherboard has more lanes on the chipset as well, that's why I bought it, but aren't they bottlenecked on their way to the CPU anyway? Like if the CPU only has 20 lanes, wouldn't it not matter it the Mobo has more than 20?
PCIe lanes from CPU and from chipset are in no way connected and wouldn't bottleneck each other. There are no GPUs with over 16PCIe lanes and no NVME SSDs with over 4. CPU actually has 24 PCIe lanes but 4 are dedicated to I/O and chipset operation.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I think the lack of PCIe lanes theory is a "red herring".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring
Sometimes a PCIe slot will be disabled if you add another M.2 drive, or a PCIe x16 slot might fall back to PCIe x8 working, but that shouldn't affect stability.

I've since (in the past 12 months) replaced every component save for the PSU
I'm starting to wonder if it might be the RTX 4070 because your video keeps stuttering or dissapears. Do you still have the old GPU. If so, remove the 4070 and fit the old graphics card (or any compatible GPU) and see if the system is more stable. It's easy to change RAM, or the CPU as a last resort. Take the system slowly back to its original components, to see if the fault goes away. If not it could be your software/OS or boot SSD.

It's just the PSU that came with my Alienware, so I guess it's a Dell.
It may not be true of the Alienware range, but many Dell office computers come with Dell's own proprietary power supplies, that do not conform the the "standard" ATX PSU used by most home PC builders.

If your Dell PSU does not come with a 24-way power lead for the motherboard, plus a 4 or 8-way ATX12V power lead that also plugs into the motherboard (to power the CPU) then you've got a non-standard proprietary Dell PSU. This can make changing the PSU more difficult.

it worked fine for 5 years in my Alienware
Low end PSUs come with 1, 2 or 3-year warranties. Mid-range PSUs come with a 5-year warranty. High end PSUs come with 10 or 12-year warranties. Check your Alienware's warranty. It probably doesn't cover any component after 5 years.

Although your PSU may continue to work for another 5 years, it could fail earlier. High end PSUs with 10-year warranties use better designs and better components, e,g 105°C capacitors instead of 85°C versions.

I think it's an 800 Watt

According to the Tech Reviewer article below, the recommended power supply for a mid-range system like yours is 750W (their actual max power consumption figure is 588W). Add another 20W for your hard disks and you should still be OK with an 800W PSU, provided it's a good quality Gold unit.

Most of the time your computer will draw considerably less power, e,g 100W when idle.

Power Supply for RTX 4070 Ti GPU and Mid-Tier Components​

Mid-Tier ComponentsPeak Power Consumption
RTX 4070 Ti GPU285 watts
Mid-Tier CPU (e.g., Intel Core i5 13600K)181 watts
Motherboard80 watts
2 M.2 or 2.5" SSDs18 watts
2 Case Fans (120 mm)12 watts
2 CPU Fans (120 mm)12 watts
Total Estimate:588 watts
Recommended Power Supply Wattage:750 watts

https://www.techreviewer.com/best-tech/nvidia-rtx-4070-ti-gpu-power-supply/