Question Help finding correct power cable for installing a GPU in a server

Jaffaaaaaaa

Prominent
Apr 7, 2021
Hello, i am wondering if anyone knows what this cable included in this product is called? It is a dual 12v atx 4 pin to pcie 6+2 pin cable

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-A2UL16RISER2-2U-Riser-Spare/dp/B00PDDIKL0

The description just says "power cable for graphics cards". I've tried searching for it for a good hour now but i cant find the correct one anywhere on the web, other than included in Intel A2UL16RISER2 pcie riser kit.

Edit: Im probably gonna end up buying this riser kit to get another riser + the cable i need, but if possible, i would like to find out if i can buy just the power cable on its own somewhere.

The cable is described and imaged in chapter 3.8.2 in page 51 of this pdf: (page 54 in pdf viewer)
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...er-boards/Intel_Server_System_R2000WT_TPS.pdf

Last edited:

Jaffaaaaaaa

Prominent
Apr 7, 2021
not an eps for sure, intel doesnt sell them separately, seems to be called just power cable for graphics cards, included with pcie riser
Thanks! I just noticed the connector key is inverted or not similar to a standard 12v EPS 4pin, there goes my plan for an adapter cable.

Seems i may just have to bite the bullet and get the riser as well then

Thanks! I just noticed the connector key is inverted or not similar to a standard 12v EPS 4pin, there goes my plan for an adapter cable.

Seems i may just have to bite the bullet and get the riser as well then
there is a way, 8pin eps is split to 4x4, right side of 8pin eps would fit
main-qimg-d0b098e598dd5de28261e6323a1fe572

you wont even need to rewire it...huh
but getting properly wired cable is impossible, wiring is correct, but 8pin eps to pcie kinda uses wires from both eps sides...so
get 8pin eps cable, get 4pin eps to pcie 6+2 cable
disconnect all eight wires from 8pin eps, switch wires from 4pin eps to that right side of 8pin (4x4) eps

or you could just get 2x molex to pcie cable....you do have molex, right?

Jaffaaaaaaa

Prominent
Apr 7, 2021
there is a way, 8pin eps is split to 4x4, right side of 8pin eps would fit
main-qimg-d0b098e598dd5de28261e6323a1fe572

you wont even need to rewire it...huh
but getting properly wired cable is impossible, wiring is correct, but 8pin eps to pcie kinda uses wires from both eps sides...so
get 8pin eps cable, get 4pin eps to pcie 6+2 cable
disconnect all eight wires from 8pin eps, switch wires from 4pin eps to that right side of 8pin (4x4) eps

or you could just get 2x molex to pcie cable....you do have molex, right?
Molex? Never heard of him.

Your option might actually be viable though, i will have to take a closer look at it all tomorrow.
Might just pay the ridicolous shipping fee for the hopefully correct cable instead..

Anyways, thanks for the help so far! I'll try to remember to update this thread when i find out what works out.

USAFRet

Titan
Molex? Never heard of him.

Your option might actually be viable though, i will have to take a closer look at it all tomorrow.
Might just pay the ridicolous shipping fee for the hopefully correct cable instead..

Anyways, thanks for the help so far! I'll try to remember to update this thread when i find out what works out.
You do realize that plugging in an incorrect cable can indeed let the magic smoke out of one or more parts.
And you may only get one chance.
And you may not even know, until you get the right cable and things still do not work.

Jaffaaaaaaa

Prominent
Apr 7, 2021
You do realize that plugging in an incorrect cable can indeed let the magic smoke out of one or more parts.
And you may not even know, until you get the right cable and things still do not work.
I will be doublechecking every connection with a multimeter before connecting anything into this machine if i end up going down that route.
Again, im gonna have to think about it tomorrow.

I like to believe i know the dangers of mix-matching power cables, but then why am i even here in that case.

wiring on eps and his connector is same as per mainboard manuals wiring diagram
intel cable offers 225watts, eps 4pin is 155watt (only enough for single 8pin pcie or 2x 6pin pcie)

Last edited:

Jaffaaaaaaa

Prominent
Apr 7, 2021
EDIT: The cable linked in this reply worked perfectly, installed in the serverboard 2x2 power header, and branches into a 6pin PCIe + 6+2pin PCIe power connector. Supplies a Gtx1080ti which is rated at 250 watts. The serverboard (Intel S2600WTTR) says that each connector can supply 225 W, and the cable is intel authorized, so i guess it would be okay to run this card through one cable only, since the PCIex16 slot can supply 75 W on its own. Anyways, i got two of these cables so im gonna spread the watts across both the onboard headers just to be safe.

ORIGINAL REPLY:
After some late-night consideration, and some time web browsing for a supplier that actually had stock and non-ridicolous shipping fees, i ended up buying the correct Intel GPGPU cable that is showcased in my servers Technical Product Spesification PDF.

https://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/AXXGPGPUCABLE?qs=j7vQ5zsWsOr5DtXyw/SFew==

No pictures sadly, but datasheet links to same PDF for my servers technical specs, name checks out, unit price was good, shipping was good and not estimated 1 month delivery as many other sites had. Will confirm when cables have arrived and GPU is plugged.

I found out it probably wasnt worth my time to craft a shoddy cable myself, and since i found a reasonable offer after all, i'd much rather go down the safe path.

Last edited: