[SOLVED] Help for Mining machine building with GTX 1070 TI

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
Hello, I have NVIDIA GTX 1070 TI that is kinda wasted on me because I only watch movie and play light game so it never reach more than 2 GB out of 16 GB. so i want to build another PC just for mining.
Since I heard mining does not need a good CPU or RAM and only need a decent GPU. I thought I want to use my NVIDIA GTX 1070 TI to good use. and fortunately I have a spare motherboard with intel I3 with 2 GB RAM.
but unfortunately, I don't have another power supply and I don't want to use my current computer power supply, so I plan to buy another PSU.

• My plan is to buy CXM 550, but is there another cheaper PSU which of course can handle mining with GTX 1070 TI ? or is CXM 550 can even handle it ?
  • I also plan to buy an UPS especially from APC, how many VA of UPS do i need to buy, is APC 650 enough for this?

my budget is about 130$, but I can make it up to 180$. if there any cheaper PSU and UPS but decent enough to do this then i will gladly buy it. thanks in advance...
-

Solution
I see, i was hoping for a cheaper PSU actually. but beggar can't be chooser I think

I actually fine even if the UPS only can run for 1 to 3 minute, or is even that UPS with 650va can't handle it?
Cheaper? a CX 450 but you gotta say goodbye to the possibility of adding another graphics card to the build. You also have the CV or cheapo Cooler Master units but I wouldn't go that low on quality for a mining build that could/will be on 24/7

Not sure what your UPS is, if it's this one:

It states 390W so if your computer + monitor uses less than that it'll be enough.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
That PSU is fine if you're only going to mine with a single card. Mining is about finding a sweetspot so tune the power limit and frequencies a bit, most of the times you won't need a high core frequency -depending on what you mine-

About the UPS remember 650VA isn't the same as 650W because marketing bs...

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
That PSU is fine if you're only going to mine with a single card. Mining is about finding a sweetspot so tune the power limit and frequencies a bit, most of the times you won't need a high core frequency -depending on what you mine-

About the UPS remember 650VA isn't the same as 650W because marketing bs...
I see, i was hoping for a cheaper PSU actually. but beggar can't be chooser I think

I actually fine even if the UPS only can run for 1 to 3 minute, or is even that UPS with 650va can't handle it?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021

Cheaper? a CX 450 but you gotta say goodbye to the possibility of adding another graphics card to the build. You also have the CV or cheapo Cooler Master units but I wouldn't go that low on quality for a mining build that could/will be on 24/7

It states 390W so if your computer + monitor uses less than that it'll be enough.

Solution

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018

if I want to add another GPU, do i need to add it with the same spec? or is lower spec like gtx 1050 TI can be add and works fine?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
if I want to add another GPU, do i need to add it with the same spec? or is lower spec like gtx 1050 TI can be add and works fine?
for mining you can pretty much mix up whatever cards you want as long as they're from the same series, ie 1070, 1050, 1080 and so on because of the drivers. what you don't want to do is let's say mix a 780Ti with a 1070 because the drivers will conflict.

note that a 1050Ti won't be able to give you any profits when mining BTC or ETH

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
for mining you can pretty much mix up whatever cards you want as long as they're from the same series, ie 1070, 1050, 1080 and so on because of the drivers. what you don't want to do is let's say mix a 780Ti with a 1070 because the drivers will conflict.

note that a 1050Ti won't be able to give you any profits when mining BTC or ETH
I see, thanks for the info