Help! Gaming rig question.

ajvessey

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
I've been doing alot of research lately, and I'm throwing together a moderately priced gaming rig pretty soon. However, I really don't know jack about RAM, beyond the fact that I'll need some DDR 400, and that I want a gig.

Specs of the PC are going to be:

Athlon 64 3200+ venice core
Radeon X800 XL 256
Fortron 500W PSU
Epox Nforce4 Ultra Mobo

I was going to pick up a gig of the Valu RAM that you can get for around 80 bucks (Corsair, or whatever brand), but I'm wondering if I can handicap my system by not getting the right memory. I'm planning on mostly gaming on this comp, and possibly OCing it a little bit down the line. The thing is, I decided to upgrade the GPU to an x800 XL from a 6600GT, so I don't have a ton of budget flexability to throw down another $100 for RAM. Will I be alright with the valu stuff, or is it imperative to getting great performance that I get better RAM? If so, what is a somewhat affordable upgrade? Thanks!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
If you're not OCing, there's no noticeable difference between value ram and the expensive stuff. (this is assuming quality mfg of course) If you're ocing, the value ram may limit your ocing, but you can use a memory divider (run the RAM at 166, then start upping the FSB) and it won't slow you down much, so you'll still get good performance out of it.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Yes, you can indeed handicap your entire system by not getting the right RAM, and then of course the world will end.

For PERFORMANCE:
For your system, stay away from VALUE RAM. Stick with any reputable vendor ( OCZ, Kingston, Crucial, etc..) where the modules are built using major-brand chips, namely Samsung, Micron or Infineon.

The latency for performance modules is normally CL2 or CL2.5 for DDR-400. CL2 will be more expensive and may not be worth the price increase to you.

If you ask me, I never buy performance modules (integrity reasons). I only buy major-brand original modules (DDR-400 CL3). Yes, they are slower but more stable. Of course it's a matter of personal preference.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem<font color=white>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Sorry about the confusion.

Take a look at the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=20-145-440-02.JPG,20-145-440-03.JPG&CurImage=20-145-440-02.JPG&Description=CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail" target="_new">picture</A>

Just because it's Corsair, Crucial, Kingston etc.. does not mean you are getting a high quality product. The quality of the product not only is determined by the module manufacturer but also the type of chips. From the picture above the chips are labeled as "VALUE SELECT" or non-major brand.

Not sure why you want to go with VALUE RAM as you have a pretty nice system already.

I would recommend sticking with memory modules built by a reputable manufacturer using major-brand chips: Samsung, Micron, Infineon.

Sure, if you had a DELL, then VALUE RAM would be a good choice. But this is not the case with your system.

Just my thoughts.

<font color=green>*****

scwam

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004
I have 3 sticks of corsair 3200 value ram. 2.5/3/3/8 rating. Since I could not run 3 sticks in double data mode 1 have 1 stick sitting doing nothing. I can overclock the other 2 sticks up to 214 with no crashing and no volt increase. So, that's 428mhz. I do believe there is a performance diminishing returns right above 212 though, seems to lag more after that. I've got a thermistor hooked to the ram and didn't realize these chips easily hit 55c when playing games. Went as high as 62c. Thinking about seeing if heat spreaders are really not the bs people say they are, may order some. I've also been thinking about making that other 512mb to good use by purchasing a 4th stick to make my system 2g for the games. Battlefield 2 blew me away yesterday when it starting lagging on one map. Went to check the PF usage and it was 1.4g! I've never seen it that high ever. Anyone know for sure that a full 2g would rid of this lagging?
6800gt
amd 3500
abit av8
Diamondmax 10 sata 250g x 2 raid0

G

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392&p=8" target="_new">Anand</A>

theres a little find the lowest ^price down there dont know if it works hehe

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
The Value VX series is built using WINBOND Blank UTT chips. Windbond UTT chips have been pretty popular in the market due to the overclocking potential. But in this case, it's impossible to identify the modules from the chips. Normally, blank UTT chips are cheaper than the other types and performance is random.

In most cases it's best to stay away from VALUE RAM, or modules built using UTT if you are anything but a causal PC-user. Still, the OCZ value VX series seems to be an excellent memory choice in the performance memory category.

<font color=green>*****

ajvessey

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
Ok, another newb question, but I've been reading around and can't get a full answer, and I really like to know what I'm doing before I start messing around.

Regarding timings, what's what? Example: 2.5-2-2-5

The first is CL, the last is RAT, but what are the middle two? Does it go CL-Delay-Precharge-RAT?

For my 3200+ with the Epox mobo, what do you think I should aim for for the best settings with that OCZ value VX (I just ordered it). Also, will I be able to supply the necessary power with that Fortron 500w? It seems like a beast of a PSU, but I'm really not sure.

As to how this relates to OCing, if I can get the memory running at 480mhz, would that be best to match the 10x240 that I assume I'll be able to reach on my cpu?

If anyone can point me to a good article about all this, I'd love to read it. I've got plenty of time on my hands and don't want to bug everyone with new questions every 10 minutes (especially since the THGC boards don't scroll too fast, so I look like I'm asking tons of questions heh). Thanks again for the info guys, you're really helping me out.

Here is a <A HREF="http://www.ocia.net/articles/overclockingguide/page1.shtml" target="_new">Beginner Overclocking Guide</A>. Try looking in the Overclocking forum for a FAQ there.

The Bluestorm will be able to provide all the power you need, but the Epox won't allow you to raise the Vdimm high enough to get that Value VX screaming. The VX typically wants around 3.6V and the only board that can do that without mods is the DFI. The Epox will OC like a champ, but the DFI IS the champ. OCZ does have a voltage booster that can be used to give the VX the power it craves to shine, but it does take up memory slots.

G

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index.html" target="_new">Clicky!for timmings!</A>

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

G

And read
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=117795#117795" target="_new">This thread</A>
Especialy brent's post, he knows his stuff!

And theres no such thing as RAT hehe at leats no in memory!

ajvessey

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
Hmm, just going by what I printed out off a TH guide. It says "Row Active Time Tras" (AKA precharge delay) so I just shortened it hehe.

Is the booster for the OCZ stuff available off newegg, or is it a special order? I'm only planning on running two sticks, so that'd leave me with two open slots fow now.

Thanks for the help guys.

You can check Newegg...OCZ will definitely sell it.