Question Help Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA wont turn on with cpu connected

Mar 22, 2020
Hello, I just recently built my a new rig with and my first full loop. The problem I am having is after I started the fresh install of windows the computer shut off during the install and now wont turn back on. I think I've narrows it down to either the PSU or the motherboard. Steps I took when this problem occurred.

1. Booted to Bios
  2. Loaded Optimized defaults
  3. Booted from Flash driver and started Win 10 pro install, screen went black after about 5 mins, left it alone for 30 mins screen was still black but looked like everything was still getting power. Shut system down would not start back up or go to bios.
Now when everything is connect to PSU nothing will turn on or post. When I disconnect the CPU power connectors from the psu everything will turn on and I get a cpu error light on the motherboard. Not sure what is going on. Any suggestions or insight?

Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA
CPU : Ryze 9 3900x
Ram : 4x 8GB 3600 G skills
GPU : Nvida RTX 2080 Super
PSU 1000W Seasonic Prime PX -1000

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020
Do you think the cooler did not properly work during the setup?

It's a possibility, the cpu temps were fine. However it was a manoblock. So I may have put the thermal pad's on wrong as further testing, cause the motherboard to spark on the circuit that does control the cpu power. I am currently awaiting a replacement motherboard and going install with stock cooler. If that doesn't work I'll swap power supply. At this point I think it was the motherboard tho.

Wow
Sparking is not a good sign anyway.

By disconnecting the 12v 8pin from mb you leave the VRM out of juice (and/or possibly overload 12v on the 24pin atx connector). It should not start without it and may (unlikely) get damaged.

I would remove the CPU, connect the 12v back to the board and see what happens (should be cpu light). This maybe a dead CPU case too.

What further testing did you do to make it spark anyway?

Mar 22, 2020
I removed motherboard and psu from the case. I took the cpu, gpu, and ram out of the motherboard. Then I reinstalled the factor heat sink to the motherboard, and used QFlash Plush to flash the motherboard to the latest bios. This is when it sparked.

Below I attached a image of my motherboard from a video i found going over it. I circled both the chip set that sparked and the 12v and 12.1 volt connectors. According to that video that chip is what handles the power draw for the cpu.

.https://pasteboard.co/J1zxfIu.png

As you recommended I did try that but again if i try to turn power on no matter what the motherboard wont do anything with the cpu 12v and/or 12.1v connector attached. It did work when using Qflash plus but during that process is when the spark occurred.

Side note. The mono block that i have does not cover that chip set on the motherboard, nor does the factory heat sink. Could my power supply be pushing to much power to the motherboard causing it to short out? Forgive me if I'm using the incorrect names for the chip set part i circled.

That IC on the picture seems to be the VRM controller, it supplies low voltage impulse to the mosfets to regulate CPU voltage.
Get the new motherboard. Check PSU for correct voltages if you can.
Edit: this IC should not get hot and does not need any cooling.

Mar 22, 2020
Just wanted give a update! New mobo came in, Installed cpu with stock color and gpu to see if i got a post, and it did make it to the bios. Going to get everything reinstalled and test again in the case. Will update again at that time, at this point it looks like it was in fact the motherboard.

Jul 27, 2020
I just read your post.... I have a very similar issue: built my rig with a Ryzen 7 3700x. Worked beautifully for around 1 week. Last night, it seemingly powered off... Power light on case was lit, everything else was dead. When I pushed the power button, I heard a pop, saw a flash and now this: https://pasteboard.co/JjylXmc.jpg

Interesting to find another case of what seems to be the same failure.

I had not changed /removed the stock VRM cooler, was just using a corsair H100x for cpu cooling.