Question HELP GTX 960 fans wont spin

chris h the guy

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
I just replaced the GTX 745 4GB in my computer with a GTX 960 4gb and the graphics card works fine, but the problem is that the fans will NOT spin. I have tried using the GEForce program to get my drivers and I updated them(I also updated them through the "Device Manager" thing), but they will not work still. It worries me because the temperatures get up to 95 degrees celsius when playing games like apex legends and I'm afraid it will explode or burn out. Can someone help me see what the problem is here?

chris h the guy

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
The fans should kick on around 62C - 64C.
The problem is the fans don't kick in at ALL and it gets very heated in there

What model 960?
Well, I don't know what the model number is but I found P/N:04G-P4-3966-KR on the back of the graphics card

Edit: Is it a possibility of the fans being damaged or shocked so they can't work anymore? (I have used this card in a previous build which was shocked by a bad power supply)

chris h the guy

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
We assume the GPU is seated and connected properly? 8 pin connector firmly in place? Is is connected to the PSU correctly on the other end of the cable?

Have you tried removing and replacing the GPU?
I made sure the 8 pin connector is firmly in place and that the GPU was seated properly, but i havent tried taking out and putting it back it yet. I don't think that is the solution though but i will try.

I believe there is just something wrong with the fans and they had been shocked, similar to a CPU cooler I used to use(in a setup with this graphics card) but didn't work even when receiving power from a working motherboard. I think i will go ahead and buy some fans or just use an external fan to cool the graphics card(as i am doing currently)

UPDATE: My solution to this was to just put 3 case fans(from an old case) wherever possible to blow on my graphics card and get a lot of airflow in my case. It works pretty great and now my graphics card can go 100% and cap out at 80 degrees celsius. I have a fan controller as well, so I can control them however needed. Also, my power supply does not seem to struggle with keeping the 3 new fans powered, which is fantastic.

Last edited: