Question [HELP] High End PC Random Stutters [Ryzen 7 7700X&4090]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2023
Hello. So, recently I've bought 4090 and started having this weird issue: my games(not all) just started having random stutter which happens usually after 5/10 or so minutes of playing the game. I don't have any garbage software installed, and it's not a throttling issue as you can see my temps are fine in the video.
This happens in Apex Legends, Warzone 2.0, BF 2042. I didn't notice this stutter in Dying Light 2 and Hogwarts Legacy tho. Also, I don't know why&what is the reason, but after reinstalling Windows it only drops to 291 FPS, when it used to drop to 270 from 300. Same goes if FPS is locked: drops to 140, used to drop to 135 or lower.
Example 1:
View: https://youtu.be/uCJ_Y9BNSMM

Example 2:
View: https://youtu.be/zBN4Ib7mniE

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 7700X
Asus ROG STRIX 4090
Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E
32GB DDR5 6000Mhz CL32 Kingston Fury Renegade
2x M.2 SSD
1x SATA 3 SSD
1x SATA 3 HDD
Be Quiet 1200W Platinum PSU
ALL games are installed on an SSD.

I've tried literally everyhing:
  • Freshly installing Windows 10 (Didn't try 11, but I doubt it will help)
  • Disabling fTPM in BIOS
  • Updating BIOS/Nvidia Driver/Chipset drivers to the latest versions
  • Disabling D.O.C.P in BIOS
  • Disabling V-sync/G-sync in NVCP
  • Disabling HPET in Windows' settings
  • HAGS On/Off
  • Playing Apex on DX11 and DX12
  • Disabling Xbox Game DVR
  • Disabling MSI Afterburner and using FPS Monitor
  • Removing GeForce Experience
  • Setting High Performance mode in Windows and NVCP

Honestly, I don't know what to do at this point, I'm willing to pay via PayPal for someone who can help me to fix this damn problem.

Last edited:
LatencyMon 1 Hour: View: https://imgur.com/a/YV9WsrT

I re-run the test, stutter happens every 13 or 15 minutes for some reason.

Also, notice how CPU usage dips when it stutters:
Examples(1 run)
1 -
View: https://youtu.be/zbtB508eiJE

2 -
View: https://youtu.be/xQP34xSozMc

3 -
View: https://youtu.be/StMApMBJAmE
I dont even see clear stuttering in any of these examples or the original videos. You also have no frametime jumps in any of them. If you are experiencing stutters but recordings of the events where you swear there is stuttering do not show it, something else is going on...

Feb 19, 2023
I dont even see clear stuttering in any of these examples or the original videos. You also have no frametime jumps in any of them. If you are experiencing stutters but recordings of the events where you swear there is stuttering do not show it, something else is going on...
You can clrearly see Frametime drop in the videos.

Feb 19, 2023
+ or - 2ms is not a frametime drop. IDK maybe I am too old to see it anymore...
I get it, it's almost not visible in the video, but you can actually 'feel' it in real life. Also what is weird, before reinstalling Windows a few weeks ago, it used to drop from 144 to 135 FPS and you REALLY could feel even through a video. I don't really know what's going on with this issue...

Reactions: helper800
I get it, it's almost not visible in the video, but you can actually 'feel' it in real life. Also what is weird, before reinstalling Windows a few weeks ago, it used to drop from 144 to 135 FPS and you REALLY could feel even through a video. I don't really know what's going on with this issue...
Humor me and open CMD in admin. Type 'sfc /scannow' and see if it finds any corruption. Have you tried turning off resizable BAR? Have you tried turning off GPU scheduling in windows?

Feb 19, 2023
Humor me and open CMD in admin. Type 'sfc /scannow' and see if it finds any corruption. Have you tried turning off resizable BAR? Have you tried turning off GPU scheduling in windows?

No corruptions. Yes, I did, even if it's ON in BIOS, most games don't utilize it. Yes, no effect. Moreover, It has to be enabled in order for DLSS 3(Frame gen) to work.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I was reading this again. What DirectX version are you using 10 or 12?

Lets try this
In Windows, press win key and R and enter dxdiag into the search box on the taskbar. Select dxdiag from the results.

In the tool, select Save All Information for an easily shared format. note if there errors post them.

Feb 19, 2023
I was reading this again. What DirectX version are you using 10 or 12?

Lets try this
In Windows, press win key and R and enter dxdiag into the search box on the taskbar. Select dxdiag from the results.

In the tool, select Save All Information for an easily shared format. note if there errors post them.
DX11 and 12. No errors there. Like I said, it's freshly installed Win 10 Pro. I also tried Win 11 Pro - same issue.

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
OC isn't the issue, tested with and without it.

Have you managed to make any headway with this issue I also have a 4090 also with a i9 13900k and have noticed similar issues, it's definitely not to the point that games are unplayable but like you i just find it irritating when you have spent a lot of money on a brand new pc to be getting these types of issues and you can definitely feel it even if it's a small increase in frame time. I like you have tried basically every solution and the only thing I have put it down to is a driver-related issue as the card has not been out for that long, there are also the DPC latency issues with nvidia cards in general as shown in latency mon so this could be adding to it. I don't think the card is defective it would be more severe stuttering if this was the case imo.

I wouldn't take to much stock on warzone 2.0 especially as the servers are in a right state atm most of my "stutters" come from server-side lag if i play multiplayer most of the time its smooth but I still get lag server side there is posts all over the warzone reddit about it. Im not sure about apex but i did read something a while ago about people having to have a certain fps cap to avoid getting stuttering due to the engine not sure if that has been fixed though.

I think some frame time variance is completely normal, you are never going to get a completely smooth frame time graph, especially when playing an online game or an open-world game as we no longer have load times like we used to stuff has to render on the spot etc. It's easy to get obsessed with this issue and for me, i just had to put away the frame time graphs and start just trying to enjoy my new pc and accept the fact that it is probably just normal/will be fixed with future driver updates.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023
Have you managed to make any headway with this issue I also have a 4090 also with a i9 13900k and have noticed similar issues, it's definitely not to the point that games are unplayable but like you i just find it irritating when you have spent a lot of money on a brand new pc to be getting these types of issues and you can definitely feel it even if it's a small increase in frame time. I like you have tried basically every solution and the only thing I have put it down to is a driver-related issue as the card has not been out for that long, there are also the DPC latency issues with nvidia cards in general as shown in latency mon so this could be adding to it. I don't think the card is defective it would be more severe stuttering if this was the case imo.

I wouldn't take to much stock on warzone 2.0 especially as the servers are in a right state atm most of my "stutters" come from server-side lag if i play multiplayer most of the time its smooth but I still get lag server side there is posts all over the warzone reddit about it. Im not sure about apex but i did read something a while ago about people having to have a certain fps cap to avoid getting stuttering due to the engine not sure if that has been fixed though.

I think some frame time variance is completely normal, you are never going to get a completely smooth frame time graph, especially when playing an online game or an open-world game as we no longer have load times like we used to stuff has to render on the spot etc. It's easy to get obsessed with this issue and for me, i just had to put away the frame time graphs and start just trying to enjoy my new pc and accept the fact that it is probably just normal/will be fixed with future driver updates.

I was in the store today from which I got most of my PC parts, we tried to play with a 3080 Ti - same issue. I think it's Nvidia driver related issue.

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
I was in the store today from which I got most of my PC parts, we tried to play with a 3080 Ti - same issue. I think it's Nvidia driver related issue.

Well yeah id say that pretty much confirms it tbh probably has something to do with the increased dpc latency that they have noted as an open issue which hopefully will get fixed eventually. Thanks for the reply