HELP! I know little to nothing about water cooling!

galacticshock

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
I am going to buy the parts for my computer tonight, right now I am revising my choices.
Though I am going to have two 970s for SLI.... I don't know what to get for cooling or anything.
Here is the link to my list I have so far. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6THnwP
(Help me finish the rest, I need to know what fans, liquid cooling etc. to get)

Sorry, I don't know much about cooling systems in a pc.

Thanks for helping me.

Solution
Couple of things, and you may have good reasons for the choices you've made, if so that's fine but it's worth looking at anyhow.

For one thing, that board is sold out at Newegg and the next vendor in price is ten bucks more. That brings you into the 160 dollar range where there are better choices available.

Are you planning to overclock the CPU? I'm assuming Yes since you've gone with the K model but you might only be doing so for the additional 400mhz base clock over the non-K model or as a future option so it would help to know your intentions here.

Seems like 440.00 is an awful lot for a 75hz monitor with a 5ms response time. There are probably better choices here, but again, you may have your reasons for choosing this particular...
Couple of things, and you may have good reasons for the choices you've made, if so that's fine but it's worth looking at anyhow.

For one thing, that board is sold out at Newegg and the next vendor in price is ten bucks more. That brings you into the 160 dollar range where there are better choices available.

Are you planning to overclock the CPU? I'm assuming Yes since you've gone with the K model but you might only be doing so for the additional 400mhz base clock over the non-K model or as a future option so it would help to know your intentions here.

Seems like 440.00 is an awful lot for a 75hz monitor with a 5ms response time. There are probably better choices here, but again, you may have your reasons for choosing this particular model.

With the high end components you have, I'd highly recommend using a faster memory module. You won't necessarily see outstanding performance gains by doing so, but you also won't see a lack of performance due to using slower modules. Pretty much any board that supports the 4790K also supports almost any speed of DDR3 module. I'd recommend going with a 2133mhz module with a very low CAS latency, which is where you WILL see the performance gain at since this is the delay time between the moment a memory controller tells the memory module to access a particular memory column on a RAM module, and the moment the data from the given array location is available on the module's output pins. Which means the CPU can get what it needs more quickly and thus performance is, theoretically, increased.

So you probably want a 2133mhz module with a CAS 9 latency (The lowest available for this speed of module) or an 1866mhz module with a CAS 8 latency like the TridentX or the Mushkin Redline if you go with an 1866mhz module.

The case you have chosen has more fan locations than the number of fans that comes included with it and I highly recommend populating those locations. Also, the Hyper 212 EVO is a good "budget" cooler, but it's not a high end cooler and I'd really recommend going with a better unit considering the quality of your build. I don't really think water cooling is necessary or even more effective than air if done right but there are sometimes good reasons for going that way. Space inside the case of choice and visual appeal are two that come to mind immediately but in some cases, such as monstrous overclocks, it's almost essential. There are several air coolers that perform just as well as all but the very highest end water coolers though so it still might not be a good choice, plus, air is almost always cheaper.

If tweaking any of these things interests you, I'll be glad to help with making some decisions.

Solution