Question Help, I think I bricked my PC ?

Jun 24, 2024
I'm an idiot. I was looking to see what SSD I had, to upgrade it from 500GB to 1TB.
I saw a spare SATA cable plug/socket and decided to plug in an older 256GB SSD to see if it works.
I stupidly forgot to power down, so the PC was on when I plugged in the SSD drive, there was a spark when I removed the SSD from the SATA cable and then everything stopped.

Now it won't boot or do anything at all.

Are there any trip switches or fuses on the motherboard or the PSU?
The motherboard is a MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX and the PSU is a Xilence 700w

There is no power that I can see going anywhere, no motherboard beeps of any kind, nothing at all.

The sata drive I plugged in still has functionality, I had to reformat it but it's still working.
I'm not sure about the drives in the PC as I don't have caddys to plug them into my laptop.

Any ideas would be really helpful thanks

try a quick paper clip PSU test, if it can still powers on, if no: PSU faulty
if yes:
reset the cmos of the motherboard by jumper
try powering on
if this doesn´t help:
remove all but CPU, cooler with fan, RAM, GPU, PSU
try powering on

be sure all power cables are still connected properly

Jun 24, 2024
try a quick paper clip PSU test, if it can still powers on, if no: PSU faulty
if yes:
reset the cmos of the motherboard by jumper
try powering on
if this doesn´t help:
remove all but CPU, cooler with fan, RAM, GPU, PSU
try powering on

be sure all power cables are still connected properly
So this is weird. I just tried plugging the power back in and turning it on (its been uplugged for about 2 hours)
and now I have power, fans running etc but nothing to the monitors.
The BOOT, VGA and DRAM 'easy debug' LEDs on the board are lit.
I'm not sure what that means or what to do about it.

Jun 24, 2024
reset the cmos

try getting into BIOS
tried resetting the cmos(by removing the motherboard battery for 5 mins)
still nothing and nothing on monitors either, so can't get into bios.
I even tried to boot without the hard drives connected and only one stick of ram, still nothing

Jun 2, 2024
tried resetting the cmos(by removing the motherboard battery for 5 mins)
still nothing and nothing on monitors either, so can get into bios
I even tried to boot without the hard drives connected and only one stick of ram still nothing
reset the cmos by jumper
removing the motherboard battery for 5 mins.......... 10min

It sounds like you plugged/unplugged the power cable only, not the data cable, correct? (Doesn't seem likely you'd have a spare data cable laying around in there.)

The thing is, the SATA power connector is supposed to support hot-swapping with things like varying-length connector pins. Not that's it something I've ever tried, or would recommend, but really what you did shouldn't have caused such a result.

I would think or hope that the PSU is at fault here. It's not an especially well-regarded brand as far as I know. It probably isn't designed to cope with hot-swapping and something inside it has been ruined. Hopefully it's not so bad as to have fed that out through the connectors to the motherboard at the same time and fried that.

I would replace the PSU with a quality one and hope that resolves the issue.

Feb 2, 2024
The correct way to reset CMOS is given in the mobo manual. Usually short out two pins with flat blade screw driver (while pc is off & PSU cable unplugged). irrc mine doesn't require the lithium battery taken out.

The fact that there was a spark is enough cause for concern. Maybe the PSU has been damaged or the Mobo has been damaged, or both. Maybe the mobo is now compromised. So you might have to get a replacement mobo then test each main component.

Sadly in my experience reseting the cmos never does anything to fix problems.

Reactions: BrixtonPunk
I'm an idiot. I was looking to see what SSD I had, to upgrade it from 500GB to 1TB.
I saw a spare SATA cable plug/socket and decided to plug in an older 256GB SSD to see if it works.
I stupidly forgot to power down, so the PC was on when I plugged in the SSD drive, there was a spark when I removed the SSD from the SATA cable and then everything stopped.

Now it won't boot or do anything at all.

Are there any trip switches or fuses on the motherboard or the PSU?
The motherboard is a MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX and the PSU is a Xilence 700w

There is no power that I can see going anywhere, no motherboard beeps of any kind, nothing at all.

The sata drive I plugged in still has functionality, I had to reformat it but it's still working.
I'm not sure about the drives in the PC as I don't have caddys to plug them into my laptop.

Any ideas would be really helpful thanks

psu is a fire hazard wouldn't run toaster on those ive seen these psus many times they are pretty much been around 10 years and back then they where selling absolute garbage.