Question Help identifying issue

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 2, 2019
Hello all, thanks for any help in advance its much appreciated! I recently did a budget partial build for a friend of mine. Replaced his super outdated components with the following:

Mobo:Gigabyte B450M DS3H
CPU: Ryzen 2600x
GPU:ROG RX570

I also added 16GB DDR4 2666 memory. Anyway, shipped him the computer everything ran fine for the first 36 hours. Starting yesterday he noticed while playing World of Warcraft his graphics would get pixelated off and on, followed by a black screen where the computer stays running, keyboard and mouse turn off and computer is totally unresponsive. Sometimes the screen will flicker and look a blueish color. Usually powering on and off about 4 times fixes the issue and itll boot up fine. One time yesterday he did get a BSOD saying Thread stuck in device driver. I've made sure his GPU driver is 100% up to date, windows is up to date. I checked his Bios version and it said f50 which is the most current from what I can find. I didnt replace his PSU it was a 1 month old 600W EVGA. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

I should also add. The game (World of Warcraft) will run 100% smoothly for maybe 15-20 min. Than the graphics will start to flash pixelated off and on. Eventually just a black screen keyboard and mouse power off but pc stays running. Only got that blue screen twice out of probably 10 times.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019
No. Just replace the card.
It's just too much trouble at this point; even after all that, it still doesn't play nice.

So he's debating running to Best Buy today to get a card then just mail me back the one to return. Do you think any of these 3 are a good deal / decent cards?

PNY - XLR8 Gaming NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Overclocked Edition 6GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card for $219.99

XFX - AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black for $189.99

XFX - THICC II Pro AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card - Black for $199.99

They price match as well so if we can find a cheaper price somewhere they'll match. Just mainly wondering if you think those are worth it, or if hes better off getting like a 1650 super or something from Microcenter for 170 or so

Jul 2, 2019

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well he ended up going with the 580. Should be as simple as running DDU, powering off. installing the 580 and powering back on correct?
You're right, it SHOULD'VE been that simple.
-Run DDU
-Install recent driver
Done. Smooth as butter. But that's not happening.

I can only suspect the card itself.
Perhaps something else is wrong with the PC? No, you'd agree it was working fine before the new gpu.

Jul 2, 2019
You're right, it SHOULD'VE been that simple.
-Run DDU
-Install recent driver
Done. Smooth as butter. But that's not happening.

I can only suspect the card itself.
Perhaps something else is wrong with the PC? No, you'd agree it was working fine before the new gpu.

Sorry maybe I should have been more clear. The card he was having the issue with was an Asus ROG 570. Instead of him mailing the card back to me, going to Microcenter and swapping it and him being without a card for a week plus he went to Best Buy (no local Microcenter) and ended up getting that RX 580 Black Edition for 150. Idk how similar the drivers are for the 570 varying 580. So when he installs the new 580 how would you recommend doing it? Running DDU and powering off then take out the 570 and install the 580? Or should he uninstall radeon software program all together? What would you do

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
~OHH! Sorry!
Radeon Software comes with the driver package, doesn't it? Nvidia Control Panel comes with their driver packages...
He shouldn't have to, but I'd suggest doing it anyway to rule out the possibility.
Take out the RX 570 > install the 580 > run DDU(requires Safe Mode) > install the latest non-beta driver > done.

Jul 2, 2019
~OHH! Sorry!
Radeon Software comes with the driver package, doesn't it? Nvidia Control Panel comes with their driver packages...
He shouldn't have to, but I'd suggest doing it anyway to rule out the possibility.
Take out the RX 570 > install the 580 > run DDU(requires Safe Mode) > install the latest non-beta driver > done.

Yes It comes with the driver packages