Help! I'm being converted into a fanboy

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
After noticing Dell's lies, AMD's low prices, the heat of the server room at my office (by way of Xeon heating), and a friend's great new barton-core budget PC, I'm becoming an AMD fanboy.

Has anyone else felt the lure to become partisan? Is there a way to combat it? I don't want to be deluded!

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
After noticing Dell's lies, AMD's low prices, the heat of the server room at my office (by way of Xeon heating), and a friend's great new barton-core budget PC, I'm becoming an AMD fanboy.

Has anyone else felt the lure to become partisan? Is there a way to combat it? I don't want to be deluded!

good, we need more AMD fanboys :twisted: :twisted:

no you cant combat it just let it hapen AMD is top at the moment and theres no point arguing that.

Loup Garou

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Hey, just keep informed and an open mind.

Personally I have used AMD products for 9 years and I am happy with it.

It does not take anything away from Intel.
I just can't afford it.

Mike

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
jsut keep up to date with the news, and not being biased to neither side will come naturally... as that most fanboy from intel are misinformed, as they still think intel is better (as it was b4 the reease of the a64 s939 with nf chipset), and usually they do not read all the hard facts, and jhust read the conclusiong (the short part) of a review and think that they are done researching, and then when they found out that intel is bad, they still defend it very harshly just because they think that their idea is always the best....

RichPLS

Champion
Dual core best performance for the dollar is with the Intel's 820 around $240 for dual core 2.8Ghz 2x1MB cache processor, while AMD offers an Opteron 165 1.8 Ghz 2x1MB cache processor for $330.
Pretty sure the Intel for $90 less would outperform a lot of areas over the Opteron, and both are overclockable, with still an edge to the Intel on Mhz overclocked over stock.
Either way, both have alot to offer, an there is more coming an more to indicate a lot of competition for AMD as the year progresses.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
No. Intel fans that have been so for years may not falter because, I believe, that they think they will be admitting that they were wrong for the past 10 years. Easy to say that Intel is wrong if you never hardley use it.

E.G., I made the horrible mistake back in 1996 of buying a Packard Bell computer. I never became a fanboy. However, I had a friend who used Packard Bell computers since their 286 models (their 286's were decent at the time--or so I hear), even had my model and had some of the same problems I did, but could not stop defending them.

Don't be big-headed about AMD being better, otherwise they can do no wrong...

mpjesse

Splendid
Actually, I kind of want my system to put out heat. I live in NM at an altitude of 7,000 feet- so it gets pretty damn cold. Anyways, everything runs off natural gas here and right now natural gas prices are through the roof. It's cheaper to run heat off electricity!!!

So, in the winter I do everything I can to keep my system warm in my bedroom so I can leave the gas furnice off.

And that's where Intel's prescott comes into play!

:)

-mpjesse

mpjesse

Splendid
My system sits right next to one of my windows. I've thought about running my radiator outside my window for better cooling... especially at night. Problem is I'd have to keep my window cracked to do it.

It gets about about -10C on average here at night.

-mpjesse

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Dual core best performance for the dollar is with the Intel's 820 around $240 for dual core 2.8Ghz 2x1MB cache processor, while AMD offers an Opteron 165 1.8 Ghz 2x1MB cache processor for $330.
Pretty sure the Intel for $90 less would outperform a lot of areas over the Opteron, and both are overclockable, with still an edge to the Intel on Mhz overclocked over stock.
Either way, both have alot to offer, an there is more coming an more to indicate a lot of competition for AMD as the year progresses.

Aren't the opteron prices a little inflated due to socket 940 hype?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Has anyone else felt the lure to become partisan?
Never, seriously, nothing is worse. I've got 2 custom hand builts, one barebones and one Dell system. 2 are AMD, 2 are Intel, 2 are ATI and 2 are nVidia, and one even has RD-ram. I could not be more unbiased yet the true fanboys can never help but to bash the brand they do not prefer.

Even when one brand has a clear lead there might still be good reasons to purchase something else depending on budget and needs. For example I purchased my Dell to encode movies at a time when they were the only place you could buy a P4. At the time the P4 was by far the best way to encode movies so at the time the Dell was a good purchase. That system is about 6 or so years old and still works fine.

Currently AMD makes a fine product. You are not a fanboy if you like (or dislike) something for good reason. I'd label you a fanboy if Intel came out with a fantastic product and you bashed it out of habit and loyality to AMD.

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Aren't the opteron prices a little inflated due to socket 940 hype?

What hype? The Opteron 165 is 939...

shows how noob I am.

Then there we have it, proof that intel still holds ground against AMD. Maximumpc also benchmarked the P4 EE 840 (i think?) outperforming 4 opteron 245s (i also think?) because of a program that utilized hyperthreading.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
RAMBUS IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE!!!!!

DDR IS GOING NOWHERE

and intell is the best bang for the buck. plus you get the fancy sticker with each purchase

/fanboy

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've got 2 custom hand builts, one barebones and one Dell system. 2 are AMD, 2 are Intel, 2 are ATI and 2 are nVidia, and one even has RD-ram. I could not be more unbiased yet the true fanboys can never help but to bash the brand they do not prefer.
Yes, but how do you feel about Apple's Macintosh? :twisted: Maybe you're a PC fanboy. :wink:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Has anyone else felt the lure to become partisan?
I must admit, I have become...

...an anti-fan boy!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously. Fans make too much noise. Down with fans! Computers that use as much passive cooling as possible and low-noise fans for what airflow is needed are my passion!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Being a fanboy, even for merit is a bad thing. To be a fanboy means you have closed your mind to other options.
Anybody here think a closed mind is a good thing?
Yeah, closed mind genereally = bad. :lol:

Reminds me of a bumper sticker though: A closed mind is a terrible thing to waste.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Fanboy to me definitely says "closed minded regurgitation of mass marketing, forced fed gabarge!"

That said, I think it's wise to consider all choices available at the moment taking into consideration what's important to you. Our server room definitely feels like a convection oven with all the Xeons. Our new data replication project has matched Opteron servers. Now guess which ones are quieter and cooler?

Will I always buy Operteron or AMD now because they are faster and cheaper? Nope! When the time comes to buy anything I will do the research.

Will I spout the joys of AMD at the moment? Hell yes! :twisted: 20% market share says it all!

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got 2 custom hand builts, one barebones and one Dell system. 2 are AMD, 2 are Intel, 2 are ATI and 2 are nVidia, and one even has RD-ram. I could not be more unbiased yet the true fanboys can never help but to bash the brand they do not prefer.
Yes, but how do you feel about Apple's Macintosh? :twisted: Maybe you're a PC fanboy. :wink:Crap, it looks like I gotta buy a Mac now. Hey wait arn't they just PCs now that they have gone Intel anyway?

Wow I really am unbiased, I use Knoppix and Windows98se, and Me (yuck), and XP.

I do favor Firefox or Mozilla.

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
slvr_phoenix said:
Reminds me of a bumper sticker though: A closed mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Still love that warhammer quote. "An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded" - said by the librarian, a faithful crusader.

As for MaxPC, I don't actually read their mag, I just got a demo magazine at the mall one day during their dream machine tour.