[SOLVED] Help in Undervolt at the 5 3600 Ryzen at Biostar B350GT3 / High VCore and temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2019
Hello how are you? I have the processor Ryzen 5 3600 installed on the motherboard Biostar B350GT3 (with the latest version of the BIOS) and would like to help to try to solve a nuisance that is happening with my PC.

The temperature of my CPU in IDLE is between 50/60 ° Celsius and this worries me, using some monitoring software, I realized that the VCORE almost always gets in 1.40 V + and I think this is causing the high temperature.

I set the voltage by AMD Ryzen Master program for 1.38749 V, but checking in the other Minion softwares, still demonstrates the VCore in 1.40 v.

What monitoring program should I trust? As you can see, on the BIOS screen also shows the vcore above 1.40.

Is there a need to make an undervolt on the vcore of my processor? Unfortunately I do not know how to shrink the VCORE by Biostar BIOS.

Thank you very much. Sorry for any English error.

82ndXS4.jpg

7Gw0Ctv.png

NWMccsD.png

eA2afyW.png

C8wmT3D.png

Solution
In bios, look for the offset voltage and set it for -0.05v, it's most likely set for a positive number.

The max safe voltage for all core, full load on those Zen2 cpus is 1.325v. Max safe voltage for single core boost is 1.470v. So trying to get the cpu closer to 1.325, after negative offset would be a good thing, so you'll not want cpu voltage over 1.375v with a negative 0.05v.
Hello how are you? I have the processor Ryzen 5 3600 installed on the motherboard Biostar B350GT3 (with the latest version of the BIOS) and would like to help to try to solve a nuisance that is happening with my PC.

The temperature of my CPU in IDLE is between 50/60 ° Celsius and this worries me, using some monitoring software, I realized that the VCORE almost always gets in 1.40 V + and I think this is causing the high temperature.

I set the voltage by AMD Ryzen Master program for 1.38749 V, but checking in the other Minion softwares, still demonstrates the VCore in 1.40 v.

What monitoring program should I trust? As you can see, on the BIOS screen also shows the vcore above 1.40.

Is there a need to make an undervolt on the vcore of my processor? Unfortunately I do not know how to shrink the VCORE by Biostar BIOS.

82ndXS4.jpg

7Gw0Ctv.png

NWMccsD.png

eA2afyW.png

C8wmT3D.png
and you made sure you applied the right amount of thermal paste right? sometimes they have air bubbles in them and it seems you have a pea size drop and you don't you have air

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In bios, look for the offset voltage and set it for -0.05v, it's most likely set for a positive number.

The max safe voltage for all core, full load on those Zen2 cpus is 1.325v. Max safe voltage for single core boost is 1.470v. So trying to get the cpu closer to 1.325, after negative offset would be a good thing, so you'll not want cpu voltage over 1.375v with a negative 0.05v.

Last edited:
Solution

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Your voltage is just fine at 1.45.
I have a Ryzen 3700x and the voltage is at 1.45 volts in Windows.

I agree with White a Drew - the thermal paste is essential for proper cooling.
Can you please buy some good quality paste, for around £5, and re-seat your cooler.
Ensure you don't use too little or too much.
If you are not sure about applying it properly then there are plenty of good tutorials on youtube.

Once you know you have applied good quality paste properly thenplease post back on here with your temperatures to see if it has improved things.

Andy

Reactions: white.a.drew

A few pointers about monitoring softwares...

Don't run more than one monitor program at a time...that includes Ryzenmaster. I don't trust many of the programs for reporting core voltage. Even then you have to know which one to look at so yes, there are several. I use HWinfo64 and look at the SVI2. CPUz, the latest version, is also good and specifically recommended by AMD.

I'd NEVER use a monitoring app included by motherboard vendors - they are notoriously bad on many issues. Don't even install them and if you have, un-install them because they often load up services that cause problems.

There are several apps people use that cause voltage to be constantly raised... they include iCue, Steam and Origin. So don't have them running, even if minimized to the system tray, if you're looking at voltage or CPU temp's because it may cause them to be artificially high.

Last: be sure to install the latest chipset drivers for your chipset and especially the Ryzen power plans that come with them. Run the BALANCED plan so it properly lowers processor clocks, and voltages, when idle.

LAST last: There really is no need to under-volt. You can, and yes it will lower power consumption, but it will also lower performance. That's because the boost algorithm boosts based on power/voltage availability and if you reduce that then it won't boost as high.

Last edited:
Your voltage is just fine at 1.45.
I have a Ryzen 3700x and the voltage is at 1.45 volts in Windows.

I agree with White a Drew - the thermal paste is essential for proper cooling.
Can you please buy some good quality paste, for around £5, and re-seat your cooler.
Ensure you don't use too little or too much.
If you are not sure about applying it properly then there are plenty of good tutorials on youtube.

Once you know you have applied good quality paste properly thenplease post back on here with your temperatures to see if it has improved things.

Andy
A few pointers about monitoring softwares...

Don't run more than one monitor program at a time...that includes Ryzenmaster. I don't trust many of the programs for reporting core voltage. Even then you have to know which one to look at so yes, there are several. I use HWinfo64 and look at the SVI2. CPUz, the latest version, is also good and specifically recommended by AMD.

I'd NEVER use a monitoring app included by motherboard vendors - they are notoriously bad on many issues. Don't even install them and if you have, un-install them because they often load up services that cause problems.

There are several apps people use that cause voltage to be constantly raised... they include iCue, Steam and Origin. So don't have them running, even if minimized to the system tray, if you're looking at voltage or CPU temp's because it may cause them to be artificially high.

Last: be sure to install the latest chipset drivers for your chipset and especially the Ryzen power plans that come with them. Run the BALANCED plan so it properly lowers processor clocks, and voltages, when idle.

LAST last: There really is no need to under-volt. You can, and yes it will lower power consumption, but it will also lower performance. That's because the boost algorithm boosts based on power/voltage availability and if you reduce that then it won't boost as high.

I have had this same problem with the same cpu, yes you can offset your volts in bios to try and fix it. However like i said if you think you applied the right amount of thermal check because sometimes it just a air bubble that what caused my issues, however poor quality thermal paste can do the same thing to this cpu... There meant to be less of a beast in temps compared to previous amd cpu however poor quality thermal won't help that, I bought $2 thermal paste for my brother pc and it idled at 60c in bios switched it to artic silver 2 I think it was and now idles at 15c in bios, drea is correct only trust cpuz latest update

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.