[SOLVED] Help installing windows 10 to M2 drive

tdubb21

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
New build, asus z390 e mobo, 9700k, hp ex900 250gb m2, samsung 970 evo 500gb m2, samsung 860 ssd.

Unplugged sata ssd

entered Bios clear keys, secure boot to other os, csm disabled

Booted with windows 10 disk image on thumb drive. Selected the hp ex900 ( based off available space I assume that's the one, only 250 gig drive).

Installed windows, when it restarted I entered back into bios switched secure boot back to window uefi, installed secure boot keys. But now the only drive that shows is the thumb drive and the samsung 870 500gb m2 ( which is not where I installed windows, nothing on this drive besides steam )
The HP EX900 250gb m2 ( one with windows installed) doesnt show in boot order drop down???

Should add that I had it up and running prior to this but kept getting error code 0xc000000e when I would restart the machine. Thought I would do another fresh install to fix the issue then ran into this problem.
Could really use some help.

also just used the same windows 10 disk image thumb drive i used for a build 3 years ago. Not sure if that could be the problem, or if there is a different disk image i should be using for m2 drives

Solution
I'm pretty sure you did not have a single drive computer when you installed windows and it sounds like you have outdated install files. There should only be one drive , the install drive, attached. You had the 970 and the 250 GB drives installed . Windows has installed boot files on the 970.

You should reinstall.

Also, forget all that messing around with secure boot, secure keys, other OSD, etc. That is just nonsense. Try these steps.

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the...

tdubb21

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
I'd start with the latest iso from microsoft, although this is pre-windows it will save you time and have a cleaner image than updates piled on top of updates.
I'd start with the latest iso from microsoft, although this is pre-windows it will save you time and have a cleaner image than updates piled on top of updates.
Any thoughts as to why when windows ask to select drive to install the 250 m2 shows up, but once I install and boot back into bios the 250 gig m2 doesn't show up, but the samsung 500gig does?

Actually I do now.

Win10 creates a boot partition and the windows partition, if there is an existing system partition it will just use that, this is why we suggest removing all drives except the target installation drive. I suspect that the boot partition on the 500 is being spotted, used and hence that is the boot drive in bios.

I'm pretty sure you did not have a single drive computer when you installed windows and it sounds like you have outdated install files. There should only be one drive , the install drive, attached. You had the 970 and the 250 GB drives installed . Windows has installed boot files on the 970.

You should reinstall.

Also, forget all that messing around with secure boot, secure keys, other OSD, etc. That is just nonsense. Try these steps.

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, and SATA mode is set to AHCI.(If you are booting in UEFI, CSM does not matter.)

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

Solution

tdubb21

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Actually I do now.

Win10 creates a boot partition and the windows partition, if there is an existing system partition it will just use that, this is why we suggest removing all drives except the target installation drive. I suspect that the boot partition on the 500 is being spotted, used and hence that is the boot drive in bios.

So the evo 500 gig m2 that only has steam on it also has a boot partition?

tdubb21

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
So the evo 500 gig m2 that only has steam on it also has a boot partition?
Also just attempted again with new disk image, same result. Installed windows to 250 m2 and only the 500 m2 shows in bios. Just went with it and now windows is up and running.

Go to this pc and it shows the 250 m2 with windows only installed and the 500 m2 with only steam folder installed.

But still wont shot in bios and get that 0xc000000e error message w I try and restart pc. So weird

tdubb21

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

You should reinstall.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, and SATA mode is set to AHCI.(If you are booting in UEFI, CSM does not matter.)

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost
Disconnected/removed all hd's other than c drice and it Worked like a charm!

Thank you!