Question Help! Just done my first pc build but computer keeps crashing and restarting when trying to boot windows

Paultd

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
My specs are:
Processor: i7 9700k
Motherboard: MSI Z390- A Pro
RAM: Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb DDR4 3000MHz
Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 black edition
Power supply: Corsair CX750M
480gb SSD
2tb HDD
No GPU just yet

The problem is that the computer keeps restarting when it tries to boot windows. It powers up for around 5 seconds, everything turns on (fans, mouse, keyboard, lights) then restarts. However it stays on constantly during the BIOS. Windows was installed using USB, it did the pre setup wizard but just after the language set up for installation the problem with restarting occurred.

The cables connected to the motherboard from the power supply are; 24 pin, 8 pin cpu_pwr_1 1, 6pin pcie, SATAs and fans, they are definitely connected correctly.

I've tried connecting my friends SSD (already has windows installed) to my computer but the problem persists indicating that it's possible a hardware issue rather than a windows issue.

All the parts are brand new out of the box today, also as this is my first time building a pc I've just been following instructions as best as I can.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I cant find a away to keep my pc on installing windows.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Did you perform a full, clean install of Windows or did you "re-cycle" a previous installation (for a different hardware configuration)?

This sounds like a possible heat and/or power issue. Your PSU should be okay. Are you certain you mounted the heatsink properly?

Paultd

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
Did you perform a full, clean install of Windows or did you "re-cycle" a previous installation (for a different hardware configuration)?

This sounds like a possible heat and/or power issue. Your PSU should be okay. Are you certain you mounted the heatsink properly?
First time trying it was a 'recycle' but then installed a clean version from Microsoft from a different computer.

I cant be certain its installed correctly but I dont know, how can i tell?. I've used thermal paste and followed the provided instructions. The computer doesnt seem to be on long enough to overheat but I dont know.

BlackHatPCs

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
It is also a possibility that this is a problem with your integrated graphics. I have this same problem with my ryzen 5 2400g, but my rx 570 is just fine. I would suggest reseating your cpu, and possibly your RAM as well. Also make sure that your windows installation is selected as the boot device, and that it is not still trying to boot to your installation media.

Paultd

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
Do you mean you created installation media on a different computer or did a fresh install on another computer and attempted to boot it?
Created installation media on a different computer, I thought about trying to use his computer to install windows on my ssd but since his ssd with windows already installed didn't fix it I doubt that would work

kanewolf

Titan
Created installation media on a different computer, I thought about trying to use his computer to install windows on my ssd but since his ssd with windows already installed didn't fix it I doubt that would work
OK, so your Windows installation media is reasonable. I would recommend pulling the second DIMM and just trying to boot with one. That is the minimum config possible. Then you could try and boot MEMTEST rather than Windows. It is simpler software and can give you an idea if your motherboard is stable.

Paultd

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
It is also a possibility that this is a problem with your integrated graphics. I have this same problem with my ryzen 5 2400g, but my rx 570 is just fine. I would suggest reseating your cpu, and possibly your RAM as well. Also make sure that your windows installation is selected as the boot device, and that it is not still trying to boot to your installation media.
I only have 1 stick of RAM and I've tried it in every slot. How do you reset your cpu/RAM?

BlackHatPCs

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
I only have 1 stick of RAM and I've tried it in every slot. How do you reset your cpu/RAM?

I don't mean reset, I mean reseat. As in take them out and put them back in. Also, make sure that your ram is in the preferred slot for your motherboard. How many ram slots are on your board?

Paultd

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
I don't mean reset, I mean reseat. As in take them out and put them back in. Also, make sure that your ram is in the preferred slot for your motherboard. How many ram slots are on your board?
Sorry misread, there are 4 slots and the RAM is in the preferred slot now but I tried them all

BlackHatPCs

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
Sorry misread, there are 4 slots and the RAM is in the preferred slot now but I tried them all

The RAM should most likely be in the second slot from the left. Otherwise your PC will behave as described. Also, make sure as was already mentioned that your heatsink is mounted properly. I suggest reseating the cpu, and making sure you get good contact from the heatsink to the cpu. Make sure that the heatsink is firm and that the fan is spinning.

EDIT: Do you think you could add a picture of your motherboard with good lighting? Also an up-close of the heatsink if possible

Paultd

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
The RAM should most likely be in the second slot from the left. Otherwise your PC will behave as described. Also, make sure as was already mentioned that your heatsink is mounted properly. I suggest reseating the cpu, and making sure you get good contact from the heatsink to the cpu. Make sure that the heatsink is firm and that the fan is spinning.

EDIT: Do you think you could add a picture of your motherboard with good lighting? Also an up-close of the heatsink if possible
The fan is definitely spinning on the heatsink. I've gone to bed now but I can get a photo in the morning, thanks for the help so far.