[SOLVED] Help! Limited display on external monitor ?

Sep 4, 2021
Hello everyone,

Please i have a problem, i have a laptop [ Latitude E5520] I5 2 gen with 4 Gigs of RAM with a broken display, i want to use it with an external monitor [17 inch 1280x1024] i know it's old and weird but it's all i have right now and can't afford to buy another one because this not my main computer. By the way this laptop has a Windows 10 system, after plug in the monitor it's only showing a black screen so i tried to switch the display to second screen only using the Windows + P shortcut. I was pressing this combo many times for a long time until i finally get the monitor connected to the laptop but my problem is Windows showing only 1366x768 and it's grayed out so i can't change it.

So yeah right now the screen resolution is not OK, everything is blurry. This laptop is using Intel HD Graphics 3000, when i disable graphics drivers windows starts showing me other resolutions and i can use the 1280x1024 which is the right resolution for this monitor. Without using graphic drivers laptop becomes a little bit slow and online or offline videos becomes slow and laggy. I tried to install windows 7 instead of 10 & changing the VGA cable and using another one and i tried to use VGA to HDMI also but without any success. Please if there is anything i can do to fix this problem i will be grateful.

Sorry for my bad English
Best regards

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What version(not Edition) of Windows 10 are you currently on? Considering that you're on a Dell laptop, use the Service Tag on said laptop in Dell's support page and see if you have BIOS updates pending. I'd advise on gradually updating your BIOS until you reach the latest version, please don't jump tot he latest if you have a number of updates pending. You're also advised to manually install all drivers relevant to your laptop, manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You're ideally supposed to be on an older version of Windows(namely Windows 7) since the latter OSes tend to make things run hotter. Speaking of hotter, do you perform maintenance on the innards of the laptop? Cleaning the vents and fans off of dust/debris?

Reactions: aizenn
Sep 4, 2021
Hi, first thanks for giving me your time, for windows version i'm currently on 21H1 Build:19043.1081, for BIOS i'm on the latest version. I have tried both installing drivers manually and using Driver Booster but without any success. Right now i can't even get back to the monitor using Windows+P when i press it i can see that's switching but it just a black screen (from no signal to black screen and the opposite) so right now i'm only using safe mode with networking so can access to the PC. My monitor is a little bit old (ACCENT 17inch LCD Monitor) in device manager i can see that windows detecting it as a Generic PnP Monitor.

TRENDING THREADS