Question Help locate Windows corruption issue with GPU ?

bwainhouse

Reputable
Apr 28, 2018
Hi all

Ongoing issue for about 2 months, which is getting worse. I have reinstalled OS 4 times and I'll be able to play BF1 for a couple of weeks and then my Windows image keeps getting corrupted and unable to boot correctly with GPU, instead I get to login page, but after loging in, the desktop is comply black, just mouse cursor, I can also get task manger, but have to power off to fix. Windows does boot OK if I remove GPU.

I reinstalled Windows yesterday and the ran updates, installed EA app and downloaded BF1 this time the problem occurred immediately.

Have tried to do startup repair, sfc, DSIM online none of these worked

I'm pretty sure it's a Hardware issue (hopefully not GPU), I can't afford to replace all the parts and would appreciate some troubleshooting guidance

Hardware -
Gigabyte Z370xp - latest bios with default settings
I7-7700k
GTX1070 (founder)
4 x 8gb 3000 corsair
1000w corsair gold PSU
WD M.2 NVME 1TB (Recently swapped)

OS and SW, clean build, very little software:
Win 10 Pro latest build
EA game app 'beta'(instead of origin)
Battlefield 1
OneDrive
NVCleaninstall for GPU drivers instead of GeForce Experience, I have also reflashed the GPU bios

A few times I got a UEFI messages saying BIOS reset so swapped battery and cleared CMOS

Have checked the logs but not really sure what I'm checking for, or what to do next.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
but after loging in, the desktop is comply black, just mouse cursor, I can also get task manger, but have to power off to fix. Windows does boot OK if I remove GPU.
sounds to me like card isn't responding to drivers. Its why desktop is blank as its waiting for drivers to time out. Usually a sign of a hardware fault.

have you tried using GPU in another PC to see if it behaves the same or different?

tried with just 1 stick of ram? shouldn't make a difference

the image corrupts? you mean windows stops working or its a visual thing?

Do you use same user account each time? is it liked to a Microsoft account? Just wonder if it might be a setting being synced. Would be odd though

Last edited:
Reactions: bwainhouse

bwainhouse

Reputable
Apr 28, 2018
sounds to me like card isn't responding to drivers. Its why desktop is blank as its waiting for drivers to time out. Usually a sign of a hardware fault.

I'm thinking i might be hardware not not sure where, (GPU, Power or MB?)

have you tried using GPU in another PC to see if it behaves the same or different?

tried with just 1 stick of ram? shouldn't make a difference

the image corrupts? you mean windows stops working or its a visual thing?

Do you use same user account each time? is it liked to a Microsoft account? Just wonder if it might be a setting being synced. Would be odd though

Hey thanks for the reply,

So I 'borrowed' my daughters PC, and swapped the GTX1070 with her GTX1060, so my machine has the 1060 and hers now has the 1070, both machines seem to be working OK but it's early doors

Colif

Win 11 Master
you having fun with formatting the replies. I fixed your last one. Maybe I wait until you finished :)

as you said, wait and see what happens after the swap. If card is okay in her pc, it could be Nvidia drivers themselves as I seen problems other people have had with last 2 driver versions.

bwainhouse

Reputable
Apr 28, 2018
you having fun with formatting the replies. I fixed your last one. Maybe I wait until you finished :)

as you said, wait and see what happens after the swap. If card is okay in her pc, it could be Nvidia drivers themselves as I seen problems other people have had with last 2 driver versions.
Interesting, perhaps I'll stick with the earlier drivers qnd see how it goes

BTW, I'm finding it really hard to reply on mobile 😀