Build Advice Help me build a Home Server ?

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
ive been looking at home servers for a while now and now ive decided to build one for myself. im gonna use it for video editing, file storage, media station, and server hosting (maybe) for games like minecraft. my budget is 50-60 bucks (mostly because i have a few parts onhand.) heres a few parts ive decided on to do these tasks:

mobo: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255871115091?_nkw=lga+1155+mini+itx+motherboard&epid=116369090&itmmeta=01J5XP4285JK2X185
cpu: https://www.ebay.com/itm/364997081087?
cheap lil boot drive i found: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266958056290?

hdd (not sure how many to get but this is the one im going with): https://www.ebay.com/itm/365031005984?
the part i have on hand that i will be using for the psu is just a basic hp prebuilt on since there will be no gpu. not sure how much ram i will need so ill need help with that. other thing im not settled on is the os so feel free to suggest one. got the case covered so im good on that. feel free to suggest some other parts or alternatives.
edit: lemme shorten these links...

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
No GPU: be sure that the motherboard and cpu support integrated graphics.

How much RAM is planned and/or available?

What OS?

The server hardware must meet or exceed the minimal requirements of the OS and the applications to be hosted. Minimal requirements often only provide functionality - not performance.

Especially with respect to video editing and gaming applications.

What are the measurable performance requirements?

The old expression "Good, Fast, Cheap - pick two" comes to mind.

Reactions: jordanbuilds1

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
No GPU: be sure that the motherboard and cpu support integrated graphics.

How much RAM is planned and/or available?

What OS?

The server hardware must meet or exceed the minimal requirements of the OS and the applications to be hosted. Minimal requirements often only provide functionality - not performance.

Especially with respect to video editing and gaming applications.

What are the measurable performance requirements?

The old expression "Good, Fast, Cheap - pick two" comes to mind.
i might go with a dedicated video card (not a gaming one tho) so that wont be a worry.
i was gonna go with 16 gigs but after seeing that some people use 8 im not sure.
not completley sure, but some sort of linux distro, possibly casa os?
in terms of performance i need fast but cheap.

Ralston18

Titan
"in terms of performance i need fast but cheap."

Which means it will probably not be good.

:)

Narrows down to the trade-offs that you are willing to make....

Overall, there is no general harm (within reason) in building the server with what you have plus whatever parts are needed within your budget.

Even if the parts are old and it is all going to be cobbled together, do be sure then, to read all available documentation starting with the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. Ensure that the concept is workable.

Plan the build out beforehand and give yourself and the build a good chance of doing what you require.

Just be prepared for some "do over" and added expenses if the performance is not acceptable.

Overall likely to be fun and an opportunity to learn more. Enjoy.

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
"in terms of performance i need fast but cheap."

Which means it will probably not be good.

:)

Narrows down to the trade-offs that you are willing to make....

Overall, there is no general harm (within reason) in building the server with what you have plus whatever parts are needed within your budget.

Even if the parts are old and it is all going to be cobbled together, do be sure then, to read all available documentation starting with the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. Ensure that the concept is workable.

Plan the build out beforehand and give yourself and the build a good chance of doing what you require.

Just be prepared for some "do over" and added expenses if the performance is not acceptable.

Overall likely to be fun and an opportunity to learn more. Enjoy.
alright, also is there any parts you would change if you were in my position.

IMO that single HDD is going to be a pain especially if you are going to serve out to more than one device at a time - I have an old celeron running debian with a 6x1Tb ZFS and it does well, on a budget just get a cheap sata 1Tb SSD and use the old spinner for backups. Have to admit used SSD make me cringe a bit!

Also if you are going to use and old workstation chassis some of them do have Delta brand PSU (as my old celeron does, old inspiron desktop) and those are quite good. Otherwise the good old Corsair CX or even the CVs would be far better than some of those brands that are bundled in prebuilts...

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
IMO that single HDD is going to be a pain especially if you are going to serve out to more than one device at a time - I have an old celeron running debian with a 6x1Tb ZFS and it does well, on a budget just get a cheap sata 1Tb SSD and use the old spinner for backups. Have to admit used SSD make me cringe a bit!

Also if you are going to use and old workstation chassis some of them do have Delta brand PSU (as my old celeron does, old inspiron desktop) and those are quite good. Otherwise the good old Corsair CX or even the CVs would be far better than some of those brands that are bundled in prebuilts...
ive got a custom solution for the case. the only reason i went used for the ssd is because i wanted to see how cheap i can get a working boot drive but i can get a more expensive one.

jordanbuilds1

Upstanding
Jan 16, 2024
Why 'portable'?

The general concept of a server is to be in one place attached tot he network, and you access it over the network.
well 1. i have a few cases and im not looking to add another to that collection and 2. i was hoping to move it around my house easily from time to time.