Question Help me Build a PC to run MediaShout.

Ben Derisgreat

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
You guys on "tomshardware.com" are a godsend. You guys help so many people. I have learned so much from you fine folks. Thank You.

I was tasked to build a PC for MediaShout for my church. I have experience with building Gaming PC's. However, I am no expert by far. Just a simple novice. My problem is that there is soooo many choices out there that I don't know what to get. I can build PC's but selecting the parts is always stressful for me. Especially when I have to keep it as cheap as possible and still be able to run the programs that People want. All this PC needs to do is run Mediashout and play videos with ease.

Currently we are using an old small Optiplex 790 PC:

CPU - i3-2120
Mother board - Intel Model# 0NKW6Y
Graphics - Intel HD graphics 847MHz
RAM - DDR3 2gb - (I upgraded it to 4gb)
HHD - Toshiba MK5061GSYN 500gb

Our "Main" monitor in the sound room is on one of the video output. The other video output is being branched to 4 TV's with HDMI splitters. Three in the sanctuary and one in the fellowship hall. Mediashout keeps freezing and lagging.
If anyone can imagine if they were asked to build a PC to run MediaShout but have to keep it cheap for your small church. What would you get for the MOBO, CPU, RAM, GFX card? (if the mobo on board graphics is not efficient enough to work), HHD or SSD, PSU, and a case? Or is there a pre-built system out there? I've seen on Amazon that there are other Optiplex's out there that are around $200. But are they good enough?

Thanks guys,
Always learning IT guy.
Ben Derisgreat

kanewolf

Titan
The MediaShout website has HW recommendations. They recommend a dedicated graphics card. I would recommend an AMD 200GE, 2x4GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM, A B450 Motherboard and a 1030 graphics card. You could save a few $$$ by getting a 710 graphics card.

Ben Derisgreat

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
I have came across an AMD A4 4000 APU processor and a Zalman ZM850-HP 850 watt PSU in my parts bin. I also found an Intel Pentium G3220 and a Biostar TA7890GX A2+ mobo. I prob won't use the mobo and the Intel Pent because they are very old. Would the A4 work?

Last edited:

Ben Derisgreat

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
Oh, I did not know that. That would explain why my wife's puter was running crappy with the A4 in it before I replaced it with the AMD Athlon X4 870K. My daughter can play Overwatch on normal settings with me just fine.

With the "AMD 200GE, 2x4GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM, A B450 Motherboard and a 1030 graphics card" you mentioned earlier, what watt PSU should I use? Is that 850 watt overkill?

kanewolf

Titan
Oh, I did not know that. That would explain why my wife's puter was running crappy with the A4 in it before I replaced it with the AMD Athlon X4 870K. My daughter can play Overwatch on normal settings with me just fine.

With the "AMD 200GE, 2x4GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM, A B450 Motherboard and a 1030 graphics card" you mentioned earlier, what watt PSU should I use? Is that 850 watt overkill?
Absolute overkill. A 450W would be more than enough.

Ben Derisgreat

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
I fig it would be overkill.

So far I am looking at these items:

Motherboard - MSI ProSeries B450M PRO-VDH Plus
PSU - EVGA 450 BT 100-BT-0450-K1
CPU - AMD Athlon 200GE AM4
CPU Cooler - AMD Wraith Stealth Socket AM4
GPU - Gigabyte GV-N1030OC-2GI
Ram - Patriot Signature Line 2 x 4gb DDR4 2400MHz
HHD - 1tb WD Blue (I already have)

Throwing them all in a cheap Rosewill Micro ATX mini tower. I'm trying to look for a small or low profile tower to place them in because the sound room does not have much room for a full tower.

Will this work together?