[Help] Me Choose A Graphics CArd

itzzjack

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Ok, im trying to get a graphics for my new computer. I want a graphics card based purely on gaming. I barely watch anything like movies on my computer. I don't really care for graphics or anything, I just want great PERFORMANCE. I really don't care what resolution i run any game on, as long as it don't lag or anything... I don't need high definition or blu-ray. My main concern is performance, lols i know im repeating myself but i just want to show you guys how important it is to me. My budget? i don't really want to set one, but im thinking a maximum of 200$(give me prices from 50-100$ to please) most likely going to buy low price one since i just bought a new computer). If you guys REALLY recommend something thats like 300$ ill get it under these exceptions. THANKKZZ~~! I just like a graphics card that can run games without lag. I dont want to name any specific games b/c i like to play a lot of games.
Here are my computer Specs:
CPU: Amd 9150e Quad-core cpu (1.8Ghz)
MotherBoard: Asus motherboards Model M2N68-am SE2
WITH CHIPSET:NVIDIA Geforce 7025/nForce 630a
Memory: 4gb DDR2[Also Might upgrade to 8gb DDR2]
Case: Foxconn TLM263 14inch Micro ATX Tower
Dimensions(w/h/d): 180*352*406mm

400 Watt power supply-> [can upgrade this if needed to]

Computer screen size: 17 inches

ALL of this is running on OS windows Vista 64bit-[definitely going to change to windows XP 64bit, since it is faster for me]

P.S.- If you need any more information just ask, and Again i really appreciate the help!!!

litex

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I have that CPU and paired it with a radeon hd4770. It DOES bottleneck but the bottleneck is not too bad. After I upgrade it, i'll crossfire with another 4770, but for now its fine.

Anyway, I recommend the hd4770. You can find it for around $110.

Good luck

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Ed can i call you ed...well since im not directing this toward ed nvm

What i would do Jack is word that sentence better because im getting a picture of a small child quivering in a corner crying...anyways...what i would do is go for a 4850 or similar as per Ed's suggestion....and run some games to see where your limits are....you can steam roll through cod4 with amazing performance but your cpu will probably give horrible performance in crysis(it sucks anyways) you will get great performance in L4D but bad performance in GTA IV(everyone does)

Really ATM you are fine with your cpu in most games like TF2/L4D/Fallout3/COD...although for more performance you should look into overclocking....if this is a self built system you should overclock it via bios...if its prebuilt you will need to look into software overclocking

I would just wing it for now...you will be able to enjoy quite a few games without being cpu bottlenecked...when you want to get alot better performance etc upgrade your cpu then....really Ed is spot on with his suggestion BUT your cpu is enough to keep you busy atm without an upgrade since i believe i read you are new to pc gaming so you have alot of old and new titles to enjoy...in a month or two i would go ahead and upgrade if possible though...make sure to come here for recommendations though as you bought a really bad system cpu wise this time around...

And since this is most likely a prebuilt you NEED to upgrade your psu no matter what graphics card you buy

itzzjack

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
since my cpu is bad then, i shouldn't buy a good graphics card, just a cheap one that can run the games that u mentioned... what price would those range in?? the ability to run TF2/L4D/Fallout3/COD4, i will be going to college in one year anyways, dis is the year i game and next year all skool

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
If you overclock your cpu a few 100mhz and you pair it with a decent budget card you should get a pretty good gaming setup for the games i mentioned...

You should probably look into getting a cheap ATI 4850.....find the cheapest one on newegg and get that as there have been some great deals on them lately....

HappyVillian456

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Wait A SeCond, Guys!

If He's Bought a NEW Prebuilt Computer (Say like a Dell), the PSU are REALLY CRAP! i mean LOW WATTAGE!

if you want to run a Fast graphics Card easyily, like a 4870, then you would need at least a 650 Watt PSU (to run comportabley)

i Suggest Paying A high price for a PSU, and get one that has DUAL 12V Rails. also the higher the amp the better, but it's always better to buy a more Expensive Better Quaility one then a Cheap Chinese One that Could Blow UP!

i suggest something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-High-Power-Gamers-OCZ700GXSSLI-UK/dp/B000P62480/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244307972&sr=1-1

i know your From the US and pay with USD's, just Type the Model in NEWEGG.

BUT, if you buy a ATi HD4770, this GPU Has a Fast Low Energy 40NM Processing Structure. this means you can run it on a 350 Watt PSU.

also, the Other Guys are right, your CPU is OKAY, But, Just Not Fast enough.
i Have a dual core BLACK edition 2.7GHz Athlon, which is a AM2+, it can be overclocked to 3.7 GHz with Proper Cooling,

don't Forget, GAMING is all about GHz, not Core's, Core's are about how many programs you can run at one time.
More Cores Does Help, but the extra Proformance is Small for the Huge Price Tag, It's not Worth Bothering, for Gaming that is.

So i suggest a NEW PSU, a NEW CPU and a NEW GPU, no cheap Used crap off Ebay.

i hope this information helps...

By the Way, if you Have A 550 watt PSU, you'll Probily Be fine, it just safer to run a fast GPU with a bit over the Specifiled WAttage, just to be Safe, you know. ;)

if you don't Want to Spend all that money, i'll say buy a ATi 4770. there about £80 over in the UK, i don't know how much they would cost in USD's though. it can slice through Crysis on meduim with No lagging what so ever with AA of Course (probily not on your CPU). fantastic! i'm making myself want to buy one :)

EDIT: SORRY didn't read that you had a 400 watt PSU :whistle:

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

I too thought it was odd no one had mentioned the psu early on...thus i mentioned it in the end of one of my posts...before yours...but its always good to elaborate as alot of users are quality stupid when it comes to psus....

And no cores can significantly help...Intel e8400 and AMD 940be where less than 20$ difference a few weeks ago...now its still only 35$ for a huge future proofed cpu...

Also the 4850 will be stronger and a bit cheaper than a 4770 as well...a bump to a new cpu might be a good idea if his doesn't overclock to well...if he can get around 2.2ghz or a little higher it will work fine in most titles like COD and the source games as well...

I would go ahead and upgrade the GPU and PSU...follow up with overclocking the cpu...if its not enough then upgrade the cpu...

itzzjack

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

You guys think that the HIS ICE Q4 radeon hd 4850 will fit into my case.
Here is a picture, it is pretty empty inside with a lot of wires. Link is on bottom
http://s665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16/iTzZjAcK/?action=view&current=DSC00952.jpg&newest=1

itzzjack

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I hope u are right edea, and another question, what happens with the graphics card and the integrated chipset graphics card on my motherboard? does it become obsolete or anything?

BruceOTB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
i think it will fit.

here's a 9800gt. 10.5" if im not mistaken

DSCN7913.jpg
DSCN7910.jpg