Help me choose a motherboard for my i5 8400?

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hello everyone. So I've finally decided I'll go for i5 2400. Now it's time to decide a motherboard for it. For a few years, let's say 2-3 years, I won't be upgrading the processor or anything again.

So in that case, which motherboard should I buy? Somebody suggested me to buy an expensive one but I'd ask WHY?

Since I'm a noob, I'd like to get some help. The amount of money that I can save could be invested in something else like a new gaming headset or something.

Also I'd like to have a bigger as in ATX motherboard, not the smaller one.

I've decided to get TUF H310-PLUS GAMING till now as I'm getting it for $105 in my country. Anything better in the same or slight above price range can also be bought.

I'm also getting a B-360 in this price range but they're micro atx.

I'll be using Rx 580 8gb on it.

Other options are:

TUF B360M-E GAMING (Micro Atx)

PRIME B360M-A (Micro Atx)

Solution

I think all of the compatible motherboards will have at least one pcie 3.0 x16 slot
You can buy a barebones motherboard for $50.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157809

Your pick is reasonable.
I would recommend a B360 over a H310, the price difference is small and B360 has more features. Here's a good article on the differences. https://www.pcworld.com/article/3268063/components-processors/intel-motherboard-z370-vs-h370-vs-b360-vs-h310-8th-gen-cpu.html.

As far as a specific brand and model, its mainly on what features you want, some have built in wifi, or USB Type C etc. Quality wise they are all about the same, so just get whichever one fits your budget and has features youw ant.

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Sir is there a difference between the full ATX and Micro Atx or is it just the size and looks?

Also which one would you recommend out of these two then if not H310:

TUF B360M-E GAMING

PRIME B360M-A

There's another which is B360 as well as full atx but it's a bit out of budget, as I said I wanna save some money.

I chose H310 because it was a full atx and looked good.

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Also if I go for a B-360 micro atx, it will still be better than the H310?

The H-310 I've seen is a lot different than what I read online. It's 3.0 PCIe instead of 2.0. Please check the official website:

Your post indicated i5-2400; I think you meant i5-8400 which is an excellent gaming pprocessor.

The performance is largely cast in concrete when you pick your processor.
The motherboard makes very little difference.

How many expansion slots do you plan to use?
For most of us, the answer is exactly one. For the graphics card.

The difference between ATX and M-ATX is primarily how many expansion slots it has. 7 for ATX, 4 for M-atx.
If you do not want a large case, pick M-ATX. A plus for M-ATX is that it may cost a bit less.

Of perhaps more importance is the chipset.
Here is a chart of the differences:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151

Likely, the only important difference is with the z370 chipset which will support overclocking if you should ever want to upgrade to a K suffix processor which should be overclocked.
I might argue for a z370 motherboard which need not be expensive.

Otherwise, if on a budget, buy the cheapest 300 series motherboard you can find.

With the TUF H310-PLUS GAMING has 1 PCIe 3.0, 2 PCIe 2.0 x1 and 3 PCI slots. It only has 2 DIMM (RAM) slots which means if you buy dual channel memory (which you should) you would have to buy a new set of RAM sticks if you want to expand. You'll also only have 2 USB ports on the back IO. If you need a lot of PCIe expansion slots then this is your best choice.

The TUF B360M E is similar but in a mATX form factor, I wouldn't buy this one though.

Of the three I think the PRIME B360M-A offers the best, it has 4 DIMM slots for RAM and a USB Type C port. Yes it only has 1 PCIE 3.0 slot and 2 PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1 slots but nowadays most people don't buy that many expansion cards.

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Yes sir, I'm sorry. I meant i5 8400.

Yes, I'll use only one expansion slot. Also no overclocking not even in future. Just didn't like the look of m-atx so chose the H310 atx over B360

For those considering a motherboard with 4 ram slots.
Do not count on being able to simply add two more sticks.
You are not guaranteed to work.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

Either buy your 2 x 8gb kit up front or plan on replacing your 8gb kit whenever you later upgrade.

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Yes, more ram slots can be great for someone like me who can add up 4gb every time I get money.

For now, I'll start with 8gb x 1 and make it dual channel with the same type of ram in future... to make it total 16gb.

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Alright. I'll buy 4gb x 2 for now...... I'll update later on when I can into 16gb.

In that case, please help me by choosing a motherboard so that I can finalize it because this is really confusing. Just tell me one and I'll go for it since you're very experienced.

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

In that case, ASUS TUF H310-Plus Gaming (300 Series) LGA 1151-2 ATX Motherboard is the cheapest and best looking among all. It's H310 but unlike others, it has PCIe 3.0, not 2.0

I think all of the compatible motherboards will have at least one pcie 3.0 x16 slot
You can buy a barebones motherboard for $50.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157809

Your pick is reasonable.

Solution