[SOLVED] Help me decide between DDR4 and DDR5?

Dec 16, 2021
I am finally building a new rig (mine is from 2015 with some upgrades in 2017). I am getting an Intel Core i7 12700K, along with a Z690 motherboard from Gigabyte (the Aorus Master.

Naturally I assumed that DDR5 would be better by default, since it's newer and has higher clock speed, all the way up to 6000mhz+ apparently.

But in some reviews or sites it seems like DDR5 can be 'sluggish' or have worse latency issues. Is this true?

For some reason I just dislike the idea of getting DDR4 when the board and processor are all about the future with DDR5.

Perhaps (most likely) I am misunderstanding what truly makes good memory.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
Hello. Yeah I had no idea that DDR5 was being scalped. Hot damn. Looks like I might have to choose a different Z690 mobo, one that supports DDR4 and DDR5.

Question: Is it better to use 2 sticks of 16gb, or 4 sticks of 8gb. I know the Intel Core i7 12700 has dual-channel support (I'm not very familiar with this process), but I read 2 sticks are slightly faster than 4?
You can find DDR5 like I said if your in the US but the price is nuts and it usually takes almost a year for new memory to actually catch up to the old.

When I was using DDR3 it was 2400 with 11 cas took a good bit of time for DDR4 to actually catch that sure it was faster but with very crappy cas.

You might can Google some benchmarks 4 sticks of DDR4 VS 2 sticks...
Dec 16, 2021
Its just released and will take time to mature. Alderlake is not DDR5 exclusive so you won't find massive difference with DDR4. It will take possibly another generation to optimise fully and become mainstream. Intel kind of rushed DDR5 on Alderlake just to get one up on AMD.

That makes sense. I can only use DDR5 on the mobo I like, but it seems like they are pretty good. I have some money from recent sales so can afford to just yolo it.

Dec 16, 2021
Dammit, I didn't realize that memory was being scalped too. Damn.. well, I will have to see what they are going for on ebay, or else add some DDR5 memory to my NOW IN STOCK account/app and hope there are more.

Dec 16, 2021
Hello. Yeah I had no idea that DDR5 was being scalped. Hot damn. Looks like I might have to choose a different Z690 mobo, one that supports DDR4 and DDR5.

Question: Is it better to use 2 sticks of 16gb, or 4 sticks of 8gb. I know the Intel Core i7 12700 has dual-channel support (I'm not very familiar with this process), but I read 2 sticks are slightly faster than 4?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

You can find DDR5 like I said if your in the US but the price is nuts and it usually takes almost a year for new memory to actually catch up to the old.

When I was using DDR3 it was 2400 with 11 cas took a good bit of time for DDR4 to actually catch that sure it was faster but with very crappy cas.

You might can Google some benchmarks 4 sticks of DDR4 VS 2 sticks using that processor but it will be very close either way even if something shows the 4 sticks a bit faster it's not worth the extra money.

Reactions: ThiefJustin
Solution
Dec 16, 2021
Thanks for the response. Yeah people wanting $999 for ram that would normally be $300-500.
I am looking at the G.Skill Trident Z, it's dual memory at 4266mhz. I'll get 4 sticks of 8

TRENDING THREADS