[SOLVED] Help me decide. mATX or ITX case? Pros and Cons.

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
I am building a new gaming pc this coming July. I am thinking if I should go mATX or ITX. I want to go ITX because it's small and compact and looks light but I worry that I might be needing in the future an additional PCIE for mATX. I have no plan on doing SLI or crossfire.

Solution
M-ATX:
+more options for just about everything over the other form factor, period, making it more versatile/flexible.
-some cases are too big to be considered M-ATX; they're ATX.
-it's larger than M-ITX.

M-ITX:
+smaller and more compact than M-ATX.
-Part options are fewer, unfortunately, and it looks to be getting smaller, as more and more manufacturers have slowly backed away from the mini market; demand is low, and so it's considered niche.

If you choose to go with M-ITX, make sure you have thought over what all you want to do with the build, or some 'oopsies' you may come across later might not be remedied without leaving the tiny form factor.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
M-ATX:
+more options for just about everything over the other form factor, period, making it more versatile/flexible.
-some cases are too big to be considered M-ATX; they're ATX.
-it's larger than M-ITX.

M-ITX:
+smaller and more compact than M-ATX.
-Part options are fewer, unfortunately, and it looks to be getting smaller, as more and more manufacturers have slowly backed away from the mini market; demand is low, and so it's considered niche.

If you choose to go with M-ITX, make sure you have thought over what all you want to do with the build, or some 'oopsies' you may come across later might not be remedied without leaving the tiny form factor.

Reactions: Owsow
Solution

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
My current gaming rig is ATX. It is so big and I am not using other PCIE slots anyway so I think it is a waste. Thanks for your answers I will go with mATX.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I build myself an itx gaming rig and I love it for the sleek appearance on my desk. Yes, its a design decision for me.
I liked the more complex planning and assembly, especially the custom loop took a bit of time, but man how often do you get the opportunity to build a completely new rig?

Only downside was the loss of a soundcard for my headphones, but I tackled that with an amp+dac from Schiit.

Reactions: Owsow

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
I purchased and got an ITX. I regret it. It is so hard to cable management with my sleeve extension due to many cablee and it is very small it is so hard to plug the connectors in the motherboard.