The Watercooler is mounted in FRONT
3x Fans (pc case fans) mounted on TOP pushing air inside the case
1 rear Fan pushing Air inside the case
A picture demonstrating how the setup is right now
1.png

What I would like to do:
I would like to move Watercooler to the TOP
I would like to move the 3x fans in the FRONT pushing air inside

Considering this will be my first time changing something inside my pc case I have some questions that I would like your help from people that know better than me for sure
Should I invert the rear fan to exhaust air instead of pushing air inside and create something like this?
2.png

Or should I invert the watercooler like this?
3.png

I am also thinking replacing the default case fans with Noctua NF-A14 Case FAN 140mm, would those fit in my case?

Please guys shed light into my airflow chaos and help me get this right
If you have any other suggestion let me know on how to properly set it up

Last edited:
Solution
The radiator location doesn't make much of a difference, really. Though in this case (ha!) I'd probably move it to the top. The airflow in the front is typically very poor with these cases. They were designed to look pretty rather than performance.

I might experience with benchmarks and check temperatures with different fan patterns. Ideally, I'd go with the more traditional front intake, rear exhaust, top exhaust. But if the radiator is at the top, this system might perform better with front intake, rear intake, top exhaust.

What you have right now, with all intakes, may be the worst possible of all choices. You're basically having intake air fighting with the air already inside that has no natural way to get out. In most...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your initial airflow path is bad for the components inside since there's no way for the hot air to escape. What you need to do is leave the front fans on your case to intakes and have the rear and top fan set to exhaust. FYI, if you truly are in possession of an H500i case, there's only one fan mounting location at the top of the case.

Jun 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your initial airflow path is bad for the components inside since there's no way for the hot air to escape. What you need to do is leave the front fans on your case to intakes and have the rear and top fan set to exhaust. FYI, if you truly are in possession of an H500i case, there's only one fan mounting location at the top of the case.

Hello!
It's better if I upload some pictures (I avoided it cause right now I have it plugged in and the glass has a glance)

IMG-0674.jpg
IMG-0672.jpg
IMG-06734444.jpg

Maybe the case is NZXT H710i and I am mistaken (I bought it 2 years ago)

As you can see here they are 3 fans on top pushing air inside the case
Should I replace the 3 fans from top and put them in the front pushing air inside?
And put my watercooler on top?
What do you think?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Take side glass panel off next time(reflections and blurry areas).

The H700 series is not too AIO friendly, as well as the design being focused towards negative pressure.
For reference:
iu
A)Move AIO fans behind the radiator, with the back side of the fans facing the inside of the PC.
Leave the rear fan as it is.
Set the top fans to exhaust out the top.

B)Remove the rear + top fans, and install the AIO up top to exhaust.
Leave the rear empty, but install a filter in the space. [That'll give the AIO 2 sources of cool air, instead of front only.]
The 3 top fans that were removed earlier, install them as front intake.
Store the leftover fan as a spare - don't try to use it as a rear intake, all it does is T-bone the pull of the AIO's fans.

DSzymborski

Titan
The radiator location doesn't make much of a difference, really. Though in this case (ha!) I'd probably move it to the top. The airflow in the front is typically very poor with these cases. They were designed to look pretty rather than performance.

I might experience with benchmarks and check temperatures with different fan patterns. Ideally, I'd go with the more traditional front intake, rear exhaust, top exhaust. But if the radiator is at the top, this system might perform better with front intake, rear intake, top exhaust.

What you have right now, with all intakes, may be the worst possible of all choices. You're basically having intake air fighting with the air already inside that has no natural way to get out. In most extreme positive pressure configurations, air has to poke its way out various nooks and crannies, but here, the case is practically a glass coffin. Think of trying to blow more air into a fully inflated beach ball. That's what your fans are trying to do (though not that extreme, it's an illustration).

Solution
Jun 3, 2022

What you have right now, with all intakes, may be the worst possible of all choices. You're basically having intake air fighting with the air already inside that has no natural way to get out. In most extreme positive pressure configurations, air has to poke its way out various nooks and crannies, but here, the case is practically a glass coffin. Think of trying to blow more air into a fully inflated beach ball. That's what your fans are trying to do (though not that extreme, it's an illustration).

What do you think if I upgrade to NZXT Kraken x73 and set it top mount exhaust
and also replacing the typical case fans with 3x Noctua NF-A14 Case Fans 140mm in front as intake?
I think that will be much much better right?

In the site of the NZXT it says that the H710i case can mount 2x 140mm in the front, but as am I looking at it to me it seems like they could fit 3x 140mm in the front
What do you think about it?
If it doesn't fit should I go for 3x 120mm Noctua fans in the front or is better to have 2x larger ones 140mm as intakes in front?

Hello!
It's better if I upload some pictures (I avoided it cause right now I have it plugged in and the glass has a glance)

IMG-0674.jpg
IMG-0672.jpg
IMG-06734444.jpg

Maybe the case is NZXT H710i and I am mistaken (I bought it 2 years ago)

As you can see here they are 3 fans on top pushing air inside the case
Should I replace the 3 fans from top and put them in the front pushing air inside?
And put my watercooler on top?
What do you think?
Water cooler at front and it's fans set to intake is better for CPU cooling but can raise case temps slightly. For best airflow in the case they should be matched with exhaust fans at back/top.
As 4 exhaust fans would overmatch air flow from front I would set top 3 as exhaust and let back one to intake as it would be good for VRM cooling.

DSzymborski

Titan
What do you think if I upgrade to NZXT Kraken x73 and set it top mount exhaust
and also replacing the typical case fans with 3x Noctua NF-A14 Case Fans 140mm in front as intake?
I think that will be much much better right?

In the site of the NZXT it says that the H710i case can mount 2x 140mm in the front, but as am I looking at it to me it seems like they could fit 3x 140mm in the front
What do you think about it?
If it doesn't fit should I go for 3x 120mm Noctua fans in the front or is better to have 2x larger ones 140mm as intakes in front?

Why are we talking about an AIO upgrade? The problem this case has to overcome is airflow. Have you tried any fan configuration differences yet? Your current all-intake doesn't make sense.

If you're really going to just drop $170 instead of trying to remedy the airflow problem, spend the $170 on a case with better ventilation.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You would typically want the exhaust fans on the top, since hot air tends to rise.
Applies with passive cooling. The moment a fan is added to the equation, that rule of thermodynamics gets flipped on its head.
Top intake does work with some setups - this is not one of them though.

Water cooler at front and it's fans set to intake is better for CPU cooling but can raise case temps slightly.
Yes, but that hardly affects the operating thermals of the parts behind the AIO. When it is active, the gpu can increase chassis ambient even further than a front AIO, thus even higher operating thermals for the surrounding hardware.

Why are we talking about an AIO upgrade? The problem this case has to overcome is airflow. Have you tried any fan configuration differences yet? Your current all-intake doesn't make sense.

If you're really going to just drop $170 instead of trying to remedy the airflow problem, spend the $170 on a case with better ventilation.
/thread

@iBenn My first post contained 2 solutions you could've tried by now...