[SOLVED] Help me in choosing compatible RAM!

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
I wish to add another 4GB RAM to my system, wishing to buy used DDR3 1600Mhz RAM. I have some questions regarding the RAM compatibility and timings.

Can i mix/add 2x2GB RAM modules with my existing system spec? and will it work in dual channel?
Due to used RAM availability it seems that only CAS latency of 11 is available whereas my RAM has CAS latency of 9. will they both work?
If they both work is it OK to sacrifice latency for speed? Example (2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz CAS 9 OR 2x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 11)

Pleas find my system specs in my signature.

Solution
Mixing memory is never recommended. That means doing the timings manually, assuming it boots at the slowest speed at all.

Yes, if you add matching memory in the two remaining slots, dual channel mode should be retained.

You should be able to run the faster memory at higher timings, yes. Not exactly ideal though.

It will take some experimentation to see how fast you can get the sets to go together. Worst case it doesn't work at all and you have wasted your money. Next best it works, but only at 1333 or 1066Mhz. And best case is the memory you buy will overclock well enough to match what you already have.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Mixing memory is never recommended. That means doing the timings manually, assuming it boots at the slowest speed at all.

Yes, if you add matching memory in the two remaining slots, dual channel mode should be retained.

You should be able to run the faster memory at higher timings, yes. Not exactly ideal though.

It will take some experimentation to see how fast you can get the sets to go together. Worst case it doesn't work at all and you have wasted your money. Next best it works, but only at 1333 or 1066Mhz. And best case is the memory you buy will overclock well enough to match what you already have.

Solution