Question Help me make sure my build is compatible

Oct 13, 2024
Hi guys!

I am new in bulding pcs and would like to get an opinion on my configured build. I am not going to overclock, just want to play all the new games in high fps and don't want to worrie about soon needed upgrades :) Maybe someone has some good tips or knows anything, which I forgot about. I am happy about every answer and advices!

Here are my components:
https://ibb.co/vBwF0TB

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, 16C/32T, 4.20-5.70GHz, boxed ohne Kühler (100-100000908WOF)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB schwarz DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR5-6000, CL36-36-36-96, on-die ECC (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5NR)
G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB schwarz DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR5-6000, CL36-36-36-96, on-die ECC
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER Aero OC 16G, 16GB GDDR6X, HDMI, 3x DP (GV-N408SAERO OC-16GD)
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER Aero OC 16G, 16GB GDDR6X, HDMI, 3x DP
MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk WIFI (7E12-001R)
MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk WIFI
Lian Li Galahad II Trinity 360 White, weiß (GA2T36W)
Lian Li Galahad II Trinity 360 White
be quiet! Straight Power 12 850W ATX 3.0 (BN337)
be quiet! Straight Power 12 850W ATX 3.0

And my Case, which I already have at home:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CHP77RDG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could've compiled your parts list on a site like this;

just want to play all the new games in high fps and don't want to worrie about soon needed upgrades
So far your build looks fine but if it's possible to make tweaks to your build, can you specify what your aboslute budget is for the build? Including all the titles you want to tax the build with without an etc would help the community in suggestions towards you/your build.

One thing though, you forgot to include the make and model of your case for your build. One part that you could swap out, is go for a B650 chipset board. What sort of features are you looking at on the X670 chipset/platform?

Moved thread from Components section to Systems section.

Oct 13, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could've compiled your parts list on a site like this;

just want to play all the new games in high fps and don't want to worrie about soon needed upgrades
So far your build looks fine but if it's possible to make tweaks to your build, can you specify what your aboslute budget is for the build? Including all the titles you want to tax the build with without an etc would help the community in suggestions towards you/your build.

One thing though, you forgot to include the make and model of your case for your build. One part that you could swap out, is go for a B650 chipset board. What sort of features are you looking at on the X670 chipset/platform?

Moved thread from Components section to Systems section.
Hi, thanks for the reply!

This build now costs me ~2700€, I am willing to spend more but the price-performance must be right. A stronger gpu for example (4090) is just not worth in my opinion.

I also don‘t want to buy an Asus motherboard because I have read about a lot of problems regarding ram and power supply problems.

My case is noname I think, looked good and was on sale on Amazon.

CPS C3T500 ARGB Sales Kit Tower ATX-Case from PCCOOLER​

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Hi, thanks for the reply!

This build now costs me ~2700€, I am willing to spend more but the price-performance must be right. A stronger gpu for example (4090) is just not worth in my opinion.

I also don‘t want to buy an Asus motherboard because I have read about a lot of problems regarding ram and power supply problems.

My case is noname I think, looked good and was on sale on Amazon.

CPS C3T500 ARGB Sales Kit Tower ATX-Case from PCCOOLER​

I think there is scope to buy better rather than pay more on some of the parts.

As mentioned above going for a decent B650 board rather than a X670 would give the same performance but save a bit of money. If you are purely gaming then a 7800x3d might be a better choice although the price of these seems to have gone up recently due to the 9000 x3d parts soon to be released. If you can wait I would keep an eye on these to see what thevoffer in terms of performance / price.

Never heard of the case before but it looks like another Lian li O11 Clone of which most companies now have although few achieve the build quality of the original. Although I did build a PC for a friend in a Hyte Y70 recently and that felt like a premium case. I use a white O11D EVO and that was also a decent case. I am not sure what you spending on this case from Amazon and it might be fine but I would personally spend the little extra to get an on brand case that has proven airflow and probably better build quality.

Is the aim to go for a mainly white build?

Oct 13, 2024
I think there is scope to buy better rather than pay more on some of the parts.

As mentioned above going for a decent B650 board rather than a X670 would give the same performance but save a bit of money. If you are purely gaming then a 7800x3d might be a better choice although the price of these seems to have gone up recently due to the 9000 x3d parts soon to be released. If you can wait I would keep an eye on these to see what thevoffer in terms of performance / price.

Never heard of the case before but it looks like another Lian li O11 Clone of which most companies now have although few achieve the build quality of the original. Although I did build a PC for a friend in a Hyte Y70 recently and that felt like a premium case. I use a white O11D EVO and that was also a decent case. I am not sure what you spending on this case from Amazon and it might be fine but I would personally spend the little extra to get an on brand case that has proven airflow and probably better build quality.

Is the aim to go for a mainly white build?
White build would be nice but I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks more on some components just for the white color haha.

The case looks like a clone, yes. I spent 140€ with included fans. The original costs about 180 and fans are not included.

I can see that the B650 only has PCIe 4.0 while the X670 already has 5.0, I thought that maybe in some years I only need to get a new gpu and don't need to worry about a new mainboard for example. DDR 5 ram is also a technology which will not change dramatically in the next five years, so this was also important for me.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
White build would be nice but I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks more on some components just for the white color haha.

The case looks like a clone, yes. I spent 140€ with included fans. The original costs about 180 and fans are not included.

I can see that the B650 only has PCIe 4.0 while the X670 already has 5.0, I thought that maybe in some years I only need to get a new gpu and don't need to worry about a new mainboard for example. DDR 5 ram is also a technology which will not change dramatically in the next five years, so this was also important for me.
That is understandable. White builds do tend to cost a little more and it is purely aesthetics.

Have you already bought all of the components listed and are just asking if they are ok or is there still some bits to get and you have bought some of them - like the case?

The case may well be perfectly fine and if you bought it then enjoy it. You do get 6 fans and so it should be OK for airflow. The reviews suggest the main problems are the rats nest of rgb cables but this is common with any RGB fans.

Pcie 5 is still a long way off for graphics cards in my opinion as we are not even saturating a pcie 4 interface yet. A 4090 only loses a few % on a pcie 3 interface so I wouldn't worry too much about this. In terms of storage drives then again unless you are just doing benchmarking you wouldn't notice the difference in day to day performance and certainly not in games. I would save the money and possibly use it to get a bigger storage drive for games, a beefier PSU or something else. Again this is personal preference.

Regarding ASUS motherboards then I am unsure of any real issues other than the recent RMA situation which was a bit naughty of them. I have only used ASUS motherboards for my personal builds and they have never had any issues at all. I will likely use them again for my next but there are plenty of other good boards out there that if you don't feel comfortable then you can leave them out the equation

Reactions: safetyyears
Oct 13, 2024
That is understandable. White builds do tend to cost a little more and it is purely aesthetics.

Have you already bought all of the components listed and are just asking if they are ok or is there still some bits to get and you have bought some of them - like the case?

The case may well be perfectly fine and if you bought it then enjoy it. You do get 6 fans and so it should be OK for airflow. The reviews suggest the main problems are the rats nest of rgb cables but this is common with any RGB fans.

Pcie 5 is still a long way off for graphics cards in my opinion as we are not even saturating a pcie 4 interface yet. A 4090 only loses a few % on a pcie 3 interface so I wouldn't worry too much about this. In terms of storage drives then again unless you are just doing benchmarking you wouldn't notice the difference in day to day performance and certainly not in games. I would save the money and possibly use it to get a bigger storage drive for games, a beefier PSU or something else. Again this is personal preference.

Regarding ASUS motherboards then I am unsure of any real issues other than the recent RMA situation which was a bit naughty of them. I have only used ASUS motherboards for my personal builds and they have never had any issues at all. I will likely use them again for my next but there are plenty of other good boards out there that if you don't feel comfortable then you can leave them out the equation
I haven't bought any of the components yet, just got some m.2 drives already here. I can also return the case I already bought. Just used the prime days and saw this case was reduced about 40€. 3 of the fans will be replaced anyways by the watercooling for the cpu. So I am open to better suggestions like you already did on the mainboard :)

What is a beefier PSU in your opinion?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I haven't bought any of the components yet, just got some m.2 drives already here. I can also return the case I already bought. Just used the prime days and saw this case was reduced about 40€. 3 of the fans will be replaced anyways by the watercooling for the cpu. So I am open to better suggestions like you already did on the mainboard :)

What is a beefier PSU in your opinion?
I would give the case a go as it could be perfectly fine. You can find some little diamonds that are non brand. Just look out for little things like dust filters but these can be added as required. You may be able to utilise all of the fans plus the AIO depending on where you mount the radiator. I tend to prefer intake but I know a lot of people use exhaust. There are pros and cons to both. I tend to use a lot of fans but have them at a lower rpm to keep noise down. You will have to see what the fans that came with the case are like - they say they are PMW so should be controllable.

A good 850w will likely be fine but I haven't looked at the combined power draw of all your components. I tend to only use Corsair RMx PSUs as they have been rock solid - my current one is 9 years old and will be replaced before its warranty expires. What you don't want to be is close to the maximum output as there may be brief excursions and spikes by components. There is a good PSU tier list on this forum and as long as you pick from the A tier then I think you will be in good stead as these wil most likely have the longer warranties as well. The next up from 850w is likely 1000w and even though I will likely not require it my next one will be a 1000w just cover me against any eventualities.

Reactions: safetyyears
Oct 13, 2024
I would give the case a go as it could be perfectly fine. You can find some little diamonds that are non brand. Just look out for little things like dust filters but these can be added as required. You may be able to utilise all of the fans plus the AIO depending on where you mount the radiator. I tend to prefer intake but I know a lot of people use exhaust. There are pros and cons to both. I tend to use a lot of fans but have them at a lower rpm to keep noise down. You will have to see what the fans that came with the case are like - they say they are PMW so should be controllable.

A good 850w will likely be fine but I haven't looked at the combined power draw of all your components. I tend to only use Corsair RMx PSUs as they have been rock solid - my current one is 9 years old and will be replaced before its warranty expires. What you don't want to be is close to the maximum output as there may be brief excursions and spikes by components. There is a good PSU tier list on this forum and as long as you pick from the A tier then I think you will be in good stead as these wil most likely have the longer warranties as well. The next up from 850w is likely 1000w and even though I will likely not require it my next one will be a 1000w just cover me against any eventualities.
What are my options for placing the AIO? I thought of replacing them for the ones on the bottom but I have no clue about how or what different positions I am able to do with this system. Does it even make sense to place it (for example) infront of the glass, where no air comes through form outside?

"I tend to prefer intake but I know a lot of people use exhaust." - can you describe this a little bit more? :)