Question Help me out! Best monitor for professional use right now

Mar 5, 2019
I have asked this question very recently, but probably not specified the right details.
I have looked at too many contradicting reviews and comparisons, and I just can't seem to make up my mind or trust my gut feeling.

What am I after in this new external monitor:

1. Something to complement my new MBP 13 inch (touchbar with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB graphic card)
  2. Pretty darn colour accurate to allow me to do professional graphic and digital design work without the headache of incorrect display
  3. Full HD (if not 4K when looking ahead -- this thing needs to last a few years at least)
  4. Response rate not that important but fast enough to A not be annoying, B be smooth when looking at subtle moving things like Ableton and Premiere timelines
  5. Budget around 1200 AUD (900 USD)
  6. 27 inch minimum but could easily go a little larger if I'm greedy
  7. Probably not curved (which would fall in the gaming corner, which is not what I am after)
Have been looking at numerous screens, and keep coming back to screens like the BenQ PD3200U, which gets raving reviews. However, it is a few years old so I am a little hesitant.

Proper advice and tips most welcome.

So here is the thing, if you can't decide, all this would be is yet another review.

In general, I like the Dell Ultrasharp screens, have not really run across one that was not well reviewed or used one I did not like. Only issue is that the pro models can be in the 1,000 range USD.

For a 27" screen you would want a 1440 or a 4k screen, you can fit a lot more info in, and scaling for 4k at 1080 still looks pretty good.

For your budget you can go to a 32" screen also with some models.

This is a good model for graphics https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014531
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824014614
Dell UP2716D

Jack Skell

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
I purchased a Dell U3014 a few years ago and been very happy with it. It’s current version is the U3017, I think. If you look around the Internet you can find it for much less than Dell lists it for. 2650x1600 with Dells PremierColor, etc. research the u3017 at dell.com

I have been so happy with it that I bought a U3417w, which is an ultra wide 3440x1440 curved screen. I know you didn’t want curved, but for my seating distance, any monitor larger than 30” started getting weird at the corners. When I sit at the correct distance at the center of the radius a curved screen is much better, as I am looking at the pixels straight on, not at an angle, like the corners of my flat 30”.

I have had zero issues with my Dell monitors and will buy again. They bring me joy every time I sit down to them.

Both my monitors work over HDMI from the HDMI/USB-A/USB-C dongle plugged into my 12” single USB-C port MacBook. So nice.

Mar 5, 2019
I purchased a Dell U3014 a few years ago and been very happy with it. It’s current version is the U3017, I think. If you look around the Internet you can find it for much less than Dell lists it for. 2650x1600 with Dells PremierColor, etc. research the u3017 at dell.com

I have been so happy with it that I bought a U3417w, which is an ultra wide 3440x1440 curved screen. I know you didn’t want curved, but for my seating distance, any monitor larger than 30” started getting weird at the corners. When I sit at the correct distance at the center of the radius a curved screen is much better, as I am looking at the pixels straight on, not at an angle, like the corners of my flat 30”.

I have had zero issues with my Dell monitors and will buy again. They bring me joy every time I sit down to them.

Both my monitors work over HDMI from the HDMI/USB-A/USB-C dongle plugged into my 12” single USB-C port MacBook. So nice.

Thanks for your response. I will definitely have a look at those suggestions.

Mar 5, 2019
So here is the thing, if you can't decide, all this would be is yet another review.

In general, I like the Dell Ultrasharp screens, have not really run across one that was not well reviewed or used one I did not like. Only issue is that the pro models can be in the 1,000 range USD.

For a 27" screen you would want a 1440 or a 4k screen, you can fit a lot more info in, and scaling for 4k at 1080 still looks pretty good.

For your budget you can go to a 32" screen also with some models.

This is a good model for graphics https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014531
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824014614
Dell UP2716D

Thanks man. Yeah, I know, it is very personal but it's good to get people's suggestions.