Help me out with the Dilemma(After market CPU cooler vs High end Thermal Paste)

basbab

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018
Hey I am using AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(iGPU is diabled) on ASUS Ex 320 Gaming motherboard, with 8GB Gskill RAM and Zotac Geforce GTX 1050Ti ,
My current CPU temperature are
1) CINEBENCHR15- Temp 70-75C ,
2) Prime95 (version 26.6)- Temp 88-92C, tested for not more than 3-4 minutes
3) OCCT - Max Temp 89C, tested for a solid 10min 10 sec.
4) Idle Temp- 41-54C
5) Browsing- 41-61C(occasionally it reaches 61)
Did not run any game so far as this a new PC setup.
I know that the temp are quite high, so i have decided to go for some after market solution, so I thought of gettingCooler Master Hyper H410R (RR-H410-20PK-R1) but in some forum i came across that using Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound with stock cooler reduces temperature significantly, also the later option of getting a thermal compound is quite cheap compared to former one, so please share your thoughts and opinions.
By applying a costly Thermal(Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound ), will it make any significant difference?( i am not Overclocker)
And while installing my CPU stock cooler Fan I didn't get any separate Thermal compound as AMD Ryzen 3 2200G comes with a pre applied Paste.

Solution
Number 1, theres no situation anyone will,recommend 1 single intake fan, that is not enough cool air to cover a CPU, motherboard, GPU and PSU. I wouldn't EVER use less than 2 120mm intake fans.

2. Research before you buy, that case looks like it's horrible for air flow. You could try with the front panel off and,see what temps you get.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
From what I have seen the difference between a high end paste and a low end paste is a few degrees at most. If someone sees a drastic difference from changing the thermal paste it's probably because the original paste was old and dried up. I doubt that will be an issue with the recent ryzen 2 cpu's.

A new cooler will almost certainly make a far larger difference in temps than changing the thermal paste will.

basbab

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018

Actually in my case there is inbuilt 120mm rear and in front you can install either a 2 X 140mm or 3 X 120mm. so far i have installed a 140MM in front may be installing another 140mm in-front can increase the air intake and reduce the CPU temperature by slight margin.

basbab

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018

Actually you guessed it right about front being blocked mine is Antec P7 window,
here are the images.
p7.jpg

p71.jpg

Should I do anything about it.

Number 1, theres no situation anyone will,recommend 1 single intake fan, that is not enough cool air to cover a CPU, motherboard, GPU and PSU. I wouldn't EVER use less than 2 120mm intake fans.

2. Research before you buy, that case looks like it's horrible for air flow. You could try with the front panel off and,see what temps you get.

Solution

basbab

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018

I will try opening the front case and run some Stress test then post.