Help me regarding motherboard questions

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A friend gave me an IWill Ultra SCSI Motherboard with dual processors and ram included. I am planning on building a system with this so that I can have yet another computer for LAN games. I have several questions. First here is what the motherboard came with and the specs on the motherboard.

Manufacturer: IWill
Processor: Dual Pentium II
RAM: 512 MB of PC100
Chipset: Intel 400 LX
Graphics: AGP Port
IDE: Ultra DMA33

1. My first question is that if I buy a high end card (like GeForce2 Ultra or GeForce3) will I lose a lot of potential performance from the card because the AGP slot is not 2X or 4X and is just plain AGP? I don't want to buy more video card that the motherboard can use.

2. Has anyone overclocked this motherboard with great success? What sort of cooling solution upgrades did you perform? What speed did you clock it to?

3. My last questions is whether this is really worth doing at all for a decent LAN gaming machine. Realize that this isn't going to be the pc I am playing games on but one that one of the guys can play. Take into consideration I am will to equip it with a great video and sound card.

Thanks in advance...Chris

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, the board is really old to put in any new hardware. it could make a decent server for a small network, and may bdo reasonably well as a gaming machine, considering the scsi interface it already has (of course, if you will use a scsi disk!)

the LX chipset doesnt go beyond 66 MHz FSB, and the P-IIs you have might be at the most 333 Mhz. i have hardly come across anybody overclocking P2 on LX board.

get a cheaper 2X AGP, old RivaTNT/32 MB will do quite well, save money.

girish

die-hard fans, do not have have heat-sinks!