[SOLVED] Help me select a compatible RAM with existing one!

SNAR

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Hello guys! I want to upgrade my system's RAM capacity. Currently it is a 8GB Single memory stick. But the problem is, the same model is not in the market anymore (atleast in my area) and I have read many times that RAM in dual/triple channels should be exactly same (model, capacity and frequency)

So what do i do? My current RAM is corsair value select ddr4 8GB with frequency of 2133MHz. And motherboard is Gigabyte's Z170M-D3H-CF.

I want to buy another stick and run dual channel memory. Is it okay if model and frequency do not match? Is there any other RAM compatible with my RAM?

Please let me know. Thank you!

Solution
It's not a question of dual or triple channel, that has almost nothing to do with it. What it DOES have to do with is basic compatibility. Will mixed sticks play nice together? And the answer to that is ALWAYS, MAYBE. There is NEVER any guarantee that ANY kits will work together.

There is not even any guarantee that if you buy the EXACT same part number that they will work together. Memory is tested to be compatible at the factory, and is generally taken from the same production run because from one run to another or even WITHIN THE SAME RUN, there can be major differences and may not work together.

Your best best is to find memory that has the same speed, timings and voltage, and if possible try to get sticks that use the same type...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
even more exact than same model. matched.
for the least headache I suggest selling your RAM and getting a matched set in the desired capacity.
Matched Sets are the only guaranteed route to dual channel.
I have had RAM sticks made one right after the other, serial numbers were one apart and they did not work in dual channel.

It's not a question of dual or triple channel, that has almost nothing to do with it. What it DOES have to do with is basic compatibility. Will mixed sticks play nice together? And the answer to that is ALWAYS, MAYBE. There is NEVER any guarantee that ANY kits will work together.

There is not even any guarantee that if you buy the EXACT same part number that they will work together. Memory is tested to be compatible at the factory, and is generally taken from the same production run because from one run to another or even WITHIN THE SAME RUN, there can be major differences and may not work together.

Your best best is to find memory that has the same speed, timings and voltage, and if possible try to get sticks that use the same type of ICs (Memory chips) but that can be difficult, so for most people just getting the same speed, voltage and timings is going to give you the best shot at getting them to work together and if you can keep it within the same brand you might stand a little bit better chance of them playing nice together.

The fact that you have 2133mhz memory is going to make it much easier because most of the problems with compatibility don't show up until you leave the JEDEC standards behind and go beyond 2666mhz kits, although there can always be issues when using mixed memory even with identical sticks that didn't come together. Most likely if you find another set of 2133mhz sticks with the same timings, speed and voltage, it will likely work.

Solution
even more exact than same model. matched.
for the least headache I suggest selling your RAM and getting a matched set in the desired capacity.
Matched Sets are the only guaranteed route to dual channel.
I have had RAM sticks made one right after the other, serial numbers were one apart and they did not work in dual channel.

Then they didn't work together at all, because I have never seen ANY mixed memory that DID work together in the same machine, but didn't work in dual channel. If they work together at all, they are going to work in dual channel so long as they are populated correctly in the board based on the channel population guidelines. Which is not to say that they WILL work together. But if they do, it would be an EXTREMELY rare thing for them to then not want to run in dual channel.

Especially when we are talking about sticks well within the JEDEC standards and not in an OC configuration or speed.