rep_stosd

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello:
I am interested in buying a computer now. I have been waiting forever for amd to release the 133 T-birds or the SMP 760 chipset but i don't think i can wait any longer. What motherboard does everyone suggest for an 1.2ghz t-bird? (realize that i will probably dump the mobo when the SMP ones come around and then buy another 1.2) Or.. no groaning please... should I buy two 1ghz pIII's? The price of the pIII's isn't much of a concern for me(but i won't buy p4's!) Also, what mobo would be good for those 2 pIII's? Thanks!

rep_stosd

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why's that Griz, are you going to make him regret it! It's his money to spend!
I would personally get two PIII 850's and use the ASUS P2BD-S motherboard with the venerable BX chipset, then overclock them to 952 MHz. This is the only motherboard I know of with the BX that supports Dual Coppermines.

Suicide is painless...........

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Good Job. who said the abit bp6 is DEAD. I got a 1ghz P3 for it coming w/ Neo 370 adapter.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With the 40% intel price cut dual PIIIs might be a good route to go. There is now a dual 815E board out, see my post in the motherboard & chipset forum.

- JW

rep_stosd

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for help guys. Maybe i can clarify a little bit more on what i want and why i want it. I do alot of 3d work (especially in Maya) So i want the fastest computer i can get with a reasonable amount of money(besides the p4's...too much). I don't want to overclock because i will probably leave this computer on for days maybe weeks rendering and oc'ing might not be so good for it. I heard that the fpu in amd was top notch and that was why i wanted it instead of intel.. but 2 pIII 1ghz will probably outperform the 1.2 ghz amd(?) And until amd releases that smp 760, i'm stuck with two intels... Anyways, that is why i want what i want.. Thanks again

rep_stosd

G

Dual Athlon platforms are due Q2 2001. If you can't wait until then and you absolutely need dual processing power, I guess P3 is the way to go.
The problem with Crashman's P2BD-S is that it only supports slot1 and 100Mhz FSB, so you'll need Socket370-Slot1 adapters and overclocking which you stated you don't want to do. So, maybe go with Asus CUV4X-D.

- Better go Green than Blue!