Help me understand these OCCT results

SirLobito

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Hi, I've been getting restarts which seem to be more frequent when the CPU is stressed.

No BSOD (and I have the auto restart option disabled)

Ran OCCT CPU test and it always restarts withing a couple of minutes, sometimes seconds.No memory.dmp, no BSOD. Screen goes black, 2 seconds, it restarts.

Ran OCCT PSU test for 7 or 8 minutes only with fear of burning something, no restarts.

It restarts with CPU temps of 70º. Already switched for another power cable and outlet, no difference.

Computer shop say they can't replicate the problem after 3 weeks of stress tests.(They used different peripherials and power cables, I didnt take mine)
I only have a mouse and keyboard connected.

PSU is a Corsair HX1000i (1000Watts)
Cpu is an i7 4790k, cooled with hydro series h90
2 nvidia gtx 970, SLI enabled.
MB is Maximus VII Gene, updated to latest version, on default settings
2 sticks of vengenace red 8gb RAM
No overclocks

UPDATE: Ran GPU and PSU stress tests for aprox 40 minutes, no restarts. Seems like it only restarts on CPU stress test

UPDATE2: Tested in other houses and still rebooted on CPU stress tests, any idea why it won't happen in the shop? Could this be because of my mouse or power cable(though i already tested with 2)?

does the power cable have to have any specific amps and volts so I can compare with mine?

Cyier

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
Sir,
Do you know the temp of the case? http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/ Says 72C is the max case temp. With that H90 properly working it should be around that 30-50C mark when testing. Can you make sure the pump and fan for the H90 is properly working?

Have you overclocked the CPU by any chance? If so I would take it back to stock clocks and stress test it.

I would try reseating the CPU block and make sure the screws are holding tight and you have some fresh thermal paste. Reseat the RAM and GPU just for good measure.

SirLobito

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Cyier,

Actually those are the specs for the 4770, mine is the 4790k: http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

But the case temperature is not far, its 74.04C

No overclocks, BIOS definitions are at default values too.

If it's a temperature issue couldn't I turn up the fan speed and see if it behaves better? I dont know how to reseat the CPU or make sure the cooler is working.

I cant find a case temp value.

UPDATE: Went to the BIOS and turned off Turbo mode, pc went back to normal, no more restarts, this points to incorrect voltages or high CPU temps right?

Cyier

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
I agree that turbo mode was OC's the chip and made it unstable. I would keep it as is but increase fan speeds and redo the stress test a couple of times to make sure no more restarts. I think the temps off the motherboard would be a close indicator of the case temp. Also if your room temp is warm you may want to try to lower the room temp as well to help with some of the case cooling. Maybe check your case fans to see if they are providing enough airflow to case components without to many obstructions (cables in the way, etc...).

TRENDING THREADS