[SOLVED] Help me with the CAS Latency settings

Solution
I understand that, but the bottom line is that normally you shouldn't HAVE to set the timings manually. All you should need to do is enable D.O.C.P in the BIOS (XMP or A-XMP for non ASUS boards) and it should all be configured automatically according to the pre-hard coded profile contained on the memory module. Only when that doesn't work or if you are either overclocking or tightening timings, should you have to configure them manually.

The four primarily advertised timings are CL, TRCD, TRP, and TRAS. For your sticks, those should be 16-18-18-36 and 1.35v. CL 16, TRCD 18, TRP 18 and TRAS 36.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3333-memory-timings-defined-cas-latency-trcd-trp-tras

If you set those timings as indicated, save...

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
You are doing it all wrong. ALL you need to do is enable the XMP profile and the system will AUTOMATICALLY set it to the profile specifications.

What are your FULL hardware specs, including CPU, motherboard model, EXACT memory kit model, etc.?
OK
I have Ryzen 5 3500
Asus Prime A320M-K
Adata D30 Gammix series 3200MHz 2x8 16GB ram

Ok, so if your motherboard currently has BIOS version 5602 installed, and you can't get the memory to run at the XMP/D.O.C.P profile speed by simply selecting it in the BIOS then one of three things is likely going on.

1. The memory isn't compatible at profile speeds. The only way to really determine this is by using the motherboard QVL list to see if the memory model is listed OR by using the memory manufacturers compatibility list (Like Corsair memory finder and G.Skill memory configurator) but Adata doesn't HAVE one of those, so it's just another reason why we generally avoid them.

2. There are bent pins on the CPU and yes, a CPU with a bent pin or two definitely CAN run, and seem to run normal even, with basic JEDEC memory profiles at the default settings, despite being borked up. The problems often don't become apparent until higher speeds or lower timings are employed OR specific workloads or memory tests are run. Easy to check, simply remove the CPU cooler and CPU and verify that there are no bent pins. You WILL have to clean and apply fresh paste before reinstalling the CPU however so have some 91% isopropyl alcohol and fresh thermal paste on hand before doing so.

3. There is a problem with the memory. This could be one of several things such as a bad memory module, having UNMATCHED memory where not all sticks came in the same kit and were purchased separately as multiple kits or sticks, having them installed in the wrong slots (Not really possible on your board that has only two slots), having memory that is known to have speed compatibility issues such as 3000mhz modules on Ryzen platforms.

Additionally, it does occasionally happen that users with an aftermarket CPU cooler either tighten it down TOO MUCH or tighten it down unevenly, causing either too much pressure and stress on the CPU in the socket or causing it to have uneven pressure applied which can make it "cock" towards one corner or side and lose contact with some of the pins in the socket.

Those are pretty much much the only things that can cause this, so long as the problem is not distinctly BIOS related.

If you can manually set the memory speed and primary timings to their advertised settings along with the correct voltage from the memory profile, and it will POST and is stable, then that's great, but it's not particularly common to be able to do that if the XMP profile settings won't stick by enabling it in the BIOS. By your earlier screenshot it seems as though you've had some success, but it would be a good idea to test that configuration using Memtest86 before assuming that it's fine and going on with life. Memory corruption from instability is NO JOKE, and it will ruin your day, week or year, depending on how important the information it corrupts was.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86. Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

You CAN use Memtest86+, as they've recently updated the program after MANY years of no updates, but for the purpose of this guide I recommend using the Passmark version as this is a tried and true utility while I've not had the opportunity to investigate the reliability of the latest 86+ release as compared to Memtest86. Possibly, consider using Memtest86+ as simply a secondary test to Memtest86, much as Windows memory diagnostic utility and Prime95 Blend or custom modes can be used for a second opinion utility.

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP, non-custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory.

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Ok, so if your motherboard currently has BIOS version 5602 installed, and you can't get the memory to run at the XMP/D.O.C.P profile speed by simply selecting it in the BIOS then one of three things is likely going on.

1. The memory isn't compatible at profile speeds. The only way to really determine this is by using the motherboard QVL list to see if the memory model is listed OR by using the memory manufacturers compatibility list (Like Corsair memory finder and G.Skill memory configurator) but Adata doesn't HAVE one of those, so it's just another reason why we generally avoid them.

2. There are bent pins on the CPU and yes, a CPU with a bent pin or two definitely CAN run, and seem to run normal even, with basic JEDEC memory profiles at the default settings, despite being borked up. The problems often don't become apparent until higher speeds or lower timings are employed OR specific workloads or memory tests are run. Easy to check, simply remove the CPU cooler and CPU and verify that there are no bent pins. You WILL have to clean and apply fresh paste before reinstalling the CPU however so have some 91% isopropyl alcohol and fresh thermal paste on hand before doing so.

3. There is a problem with the memory. This could be one of several things such as a bad memory module, having UNMATCHED memory where not all sticks came in the same kit and were purchased separately as multiple kits or sticks, having them installed in the wrong slots (Not really possible on your board that has only two slots), having memory that is known to have speed compatibility issues such as 3000mhz modules on Ryzen platforms.

Additionally, it does occasionally happen that users with an aftermarket CPU cooler either tighten it down TOO MUCH or tighten it down unevenly, causing either too much pressure and stress on the CPU in the socket or causing it to have uneven pressure applied which can make it "cock" towards one corner or side and lose contact with some of the pins in the socket.

Those are pretty much much the only things that can cause this, so long as the problem is not distinctly BIOS related.

If you can manually set the memory speed and primary timings to their advertised settings along with the correct voltage from the memory profile, and it will POST and is stable, then that's great, but it's not particularly common to be able to do that if the XMP profile settings won't stick by enabling it in the BIOS. By your earlier screenshot it seems as though you've had some success, but it would be a good idea to test that configuration using Memtest86 before assuming that it's fine and going on with life. Memory corruption from instability is NO JOKE, and it will ruin your day, week or year, depending on how important the information it corrupts was.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86. Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

You CAN use Memtest86+, as they've recently updated the program after MANY years of no updates, but for the purpose of this guide I recommend using the Passmark version as this is a tried and true utility while I've not had the opportunity to investigate the reliability of the latest 86+ release as compared to Memtest86. Possibly, consider using Memtest86+ as simply a secondary test to Memtest86, much as Windows memory diagnostic utility and Prime95 Blend or custom modes can be used for a second opinion utility.

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP, non-custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory.
Hey there, thank you for such a detailed analysis

Well i investigated all the problems you stated

1. No Bent pins on the CPU so thats ok
  2. The RAM supports XMP 2.0 as given on the product description at adata official site
  3. Umm well my CPU is Zen2 and has support of 3200MHz modules too
  4. I am not using any aftermarket cooling, just the stock
And ADATA does have a list of compatible speeds for its modules and mine is listed as CL16 16-18-18
Well i dont know if any DRAM chip is defective though i have filled this RAM to 15.2 GB without any issues, well didnt try beyond that

Well the module does have a lifetime warranty😅

Last edited:
By compatible, I mean with THAT SPECIFIC MOTHERBOARD.

Because there are a LOT of memory modules out there that simply WILL NOT work with specific motherboards, because basically, the motherboard does not like the configuration of the memory module itself. In many cases there is something about the makeup of the module that the motherboard disagrees with and usually when that's the case it will either ONLY run at the default JEDEC base configuration or in some case, won't run at all.

Ryzen platforms are particularly fickle about memory compatibility. If we're being honest I'd try to return the memory if possible and get something in a 3200mhz CL14 or CL16 kit from G.Skill who seems to have a lot better compatibility across the board than most other manufacturers on Ryzen/Zen (and + and 2) platforms.

But, if you were able to manually set it at 16-18-18-38 with 1.35v and leave everything else on Auto in the memory configuration, and then pass four passes of Memtest86, you should be fine.

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
By compatible, I mean with THAT SPECIFIC MOTHERBOARD.

Because there are a LOT of memory modules out there that simply WILL NOT work with specific motherboards, because basically, the motherboard does not like the configuration of the memory module itself. In many cases there is something about the makeup of the module that the motherboard disagrees with and usually when that's the case it will either ONLY run at the default JEDEC base configuration or in some case, won't run at all.

Ryzen platforms are particularly fickle about memory compatibility. If we're being honest I'd try to return the memory if possible and get something in a 3200mhz CL14 or CL16 kit from G.Skill who seems to have a lot better compatibility across the board than most other manufacturers on Ryzen/Zen (and + and 2) platforms.

But, if you were able to manually set it at 16-18-18-38 with 1.35v and leave everything else on Auto in the memory configuration, and then pass four passes of Memtest86, you should be fine.
But when i manually adjusted the timings it is working properly without any issue
Thats ok but can you just tell me what timings to set manually, thats what i wanted from the start

I understand that, but the bottom line is that normally you shouldn't HAVE to set the timings manually. All you should need to do is enable D.O.C.P in the BIOS (XMP or A-XMP for non ASUS boards) and it should all be configured automatically according to the pre-hard coded profile contained on the memory module. Only when that doesn't work or if you are either overclocking or tightening timings, should you have to configure them manually.

The four primarily advertised timings are CL, TRCD, TRP, and TRAS. For your sticks, those should be 16-18-18-36 and 1.35v. CL 16, TRCD 18, TRP 18 and TRAS 36.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3333-memory-timings-defined-cas-latency-trcd-trp-tras

If you set those timings as indicated, save settings, exit and run Memtest86 as I have already outlined previously, and it passes, then great. If not, then you probably need a different memory kit. Just because it "seems to be working properly without any issue" does NOT necessarily mean that it IS. Testing is how you determine if it is, or if it is not.

Solution

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

If you set those timings as indicated, save settings, exit and run Memtest86 as I have already outlined previously, and it passes, then great. If not, then you probably need a different memory kit. Just because it "seems to be working properly without any issue" does NOT necessarily mean that it IS. Testing is how you determine if it is, or if it is not.
Thanks for that man, Thanks for continuing to help me