Question Help! My new PC rig restarts without warning while doing menial tasks

Jan 31, 2021
Hey everyone,
I recently built a new pc featuring:
  • RTX 3070 Inno3D Ichill 3
  • Ryzen 5 5600x
  • 2x 8GB corsair vengeance ram
  • Asus TUF x570 plus wifi Motherboard
  • 2x Samsung 870 Evo SSD (one of which was salvaged from my old build)
  • Be quiet pure loop watercooler
  • Corsair RM750 750watt PSU
Now, this is a pretty beefy build however it has one random Achilles heel, being that it restarts without warning or indication (instant cut to black screen) when I do seemingly menial tasks, and is very inconsistent/hard to reproduce.
This issue has seriously stumped me and reached beyond my abilities so let me tell you what seems to cause this issue most frequently.

whilst having World of Warcraft open in the background and opening prime video on my Google Chrome and trying to watch something on it triggers the issue. However, it does not do so 100% of the time. Furthermore, the second most "reliable" way to trigger it happening is through launching the game Rust. However, this also does not have 100% reliability.

Now a system like this should not struggle with such a task and to make sure I did the following steps.
  • Run a full system stability benchmark using AIDA64
  • Run a CPU benchmark using Cinebench
  • Run a GPU benchmark using Furmark
My system handled all these things without issue and staying below 70 degrees Celcius leading me to think it is not temp related. And I think it is not PSU related due to the RGB in my case not turning off when such a restart event happens.

I am at the end of my rope here, I simply cannot believe that my new rig that destroys most benchmarks cannot run WoW and a prime video episode in the background. Hopefully you fine people can shine a light on this issue.

dirk98

Prominent
Nov 28, 2020
I had a similar issue with my old rig. I mostly had issues with escape from tarkov. Turned out to be a driver issue (thanks amd for not fixing it). Try updating your graphics drivers.
Also check your eventviewer (windows+r "eventvwr.exe") for issues. You would be looking for system errors ("Windows Logs" --> "System"). If this doesn't show anything helpful e.g. "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." you could do the usual stuff such as "sfc scannow" to see if any windows files are corrupted.
Hope you'll figure it out :)

Jan 31, 2021
I had a similar issue with my old rig. I mostly had issues with escape from tarkov. Turned out to be a driver issue (thanks amd for not fixing it). Try updating your graphics drivers.
Also check your eventviewer (windows+r "eventvwr.exe") for issues. You would be looking for system errors ("Windows Logs" --> "System"). If this doesn't show anything helpful e.g. "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." you could do the usual stuff such as "sfc scannow" to see if any windows files are corrupted.
Hope you'll figure it out :)
Yeah, I looked at the event viewer and it gave me that error you mentioned Kernal power iD41 I believe. I have all my drivers up to date AFAIK I use nvidia geforce experience to keep it updated. However, I will try to see if any of my windows files are corrupted. UPDATE: ran the sfc scan and it found some corrupted files and repaired them. Iam not confident that this fixed it but time will tell I guess

Last edited:

dirk98

Prominent
Nov 28, 2020
Yeah, I looked at the event viewer and it gave me that error you mentioned Kernal power iD41 I believe. I have all my drivers up to date AFAIK I use nvidia geforce experience to keep it updated. However, I will try to see if any of my windows files are corrupted. UPDATE: ran the sfc scan and it found some corrupted files and repaired them. Iam not confident that this fixed it but time will tell I guess
Well let's hope that this was the issue. ^^

Jan 31, 2021
Well let's hope that this was the issue. ^^
Unfortunately, it still happened. This time I merely was on the prime video site and it cut out didn't even attempt to view anything. Maybe it's an issue with chrome? Going to try to recreate the issue in other browsers now. Still can't see a hardware reason for this happening.

TRENDING THREADS